GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumni Involvement (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   do any alumni wear letters? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=121098)

BraveMaroon 08-05-2011 12:56 PM

My next door neighbor, who is in her 40s carries her GPhiB tote bag hither and yon, and I think it's cute.

I have a Sigma Kappa sweatshirt that I wear from time to time, although, it's nearly 18 years old and starting to look a little sad.

As for my t-shirts, my last college homecoming shirt died last fall, and has given its afterlife as an excellent dustrag.

I'd love to have some new stuff - maybe not sewn letters, but a homecoming t or something.

bevinpiphi 08-05-2011 08:04 PM

I'm a pretty recent alum, but I wear my stuff pretty often. Out to casual dinner, to the movies, to the store, for walks...I have a ton of those shirts, so I may as well wear them. I have the intention of eventually turning them in to a t-shirt quilt, so anything that wouldn't work for that purpose I handed down (sweatpants I didn't like, tank tops, small-graphic tees)

SigKapSweetie 08-05-2011 08:28 PM

I have a Victoria's Secret Pink hoodie (in lavender) that already had a heart on it, and I had my letters added to it. You can't tell that the letters weren't printed at the same time as the rest of it. It's absolutely my favorite sweatshirt! I do still make an effort to look polished when I wear it - hair neat, makeup done, etc. That's just too deeply ingrained, I guess!

Educatingblue 08-05-2011 08:46 PM

AVID

For the past few years, the school that I teach has had college days for AVID. Typically everyone will wear their college T-shirt/sweat shirts or a Greek shirt. It is always fun because everyone gets involved...Not to mention we are not allowed to wear T-shirts any other day ;)

OPhiAGinger 08-05-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna (Post 2076479)
I don't want any future potential new members to think that we're ALL short, fat, gray-haired grandmothers!

This cracked me up, probably because it mirrors my worst fears about myself. I wore my letter sweatshirts a lot more in the first few years after graduation. As my college years grew more distant, I started to be self conscious about whether people would be whispering, "Who is she trying to kid? There's no way she's a college girl!" Now I bring out letter shirts only to the 1-2 sorority events I go to per year.

That being said, I have a jeweled alumnae charm that I wear on a charm bracelet almost every day. It's a more subtle way for me to feel a connection to OPhiA.

ggforever 08-06-2011 12:27 AM

This is a bit of a lane swerve but I have a question about what to do with all of the t-shirts my daughter has brought home. I am going to make a double sided quilt with some, but there will still be lots left over. She may wear a few but I see a lot just taking up room in drawers. I could give them to a thrift store, but the thought of someone not in her house wearing her letters makes me cringe. Do I cut them up and throw them away? Or am I just nuts to worry about something like this?

clarinette 08-06-2011 12:28 AM

She could give them to her little or other girls in her chapter.

TPA85 08-06-2011 12:40 AM

I would suggest to her that she finds a new home for
them. If I came home and my mother had given my shirts to a thrift store or cut them up I would lose it!

AUAZD2001 08-06-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggforever (Post 2076674)
This is a bit of a lane swerve but I have a question about what to do with all of the t-shirts my daughter has brought home. I am going to make a double sided quilt with some, but there will still be lots left over. She may wear a few but I see a lot just taking up room in drawers. I could give them to a thrift store, but the thought of someone not in her house wearing her letters makes me cringe. Do I cut them up and throw them away? Or am I just nuts to worry about something like this?

I'v been away from school 6 years and I still can't bear the thought if getting rid of my shirts. Right now they occupy about 4 jumbo spacebags in my guest bedroom closet. Maybe some day I'll be in a pitching mood...

33girl 08-06-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggforever (Post 2076674)

It should. Whatever you do, don't give them to a thrift store.

How about making a second quilt? The chapter could use it as an end of year gift for the sister with the highest GPA or most participation or whatever they want to reward.

aab225 08-08-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie (Post 2076627)
I have a Victoria's Secret Pink hoodie (in lavender) that already had a heart on it, and I had my letters added to it. You can't tell that the letters weren't printed at the same time as the rest of it. It's absolutely my favorite sweatshirt! I do still make an effort to look polished when I wear it - hair neat, makeup done, etc. That's just too deeply ingrained, I guess!

I am OBSESSED with that idea!!! I want to do it with my highlighter pink hoodie!

katydidKD 08-08-2011 12:52 AM

Hijack: i want to buy this (but am not because I don't need it) since it is cute (and it reminds me of VS pink!)

http://somethinggreek.com/shop/shope...+Hoody&id=6332

AlwaysSAI 08-08-2011 09:51 AM

^^^Oooooooooh, I like that!

ree-Xi 08-08-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katydidKD (Post 2077194)
Hijack: i want to buy this (but am not because I don't need it) since it is cute (and it reminds me of VS pink!)

http://somethinggreek.com/shop/shopexd.asp?prod=Sorority+Ladies'+5-Button+Printed+Hoody&id=6332

This reminds me (in terms of the message) of our Peace, Love, Xi shirt (which I have and I love):

http://www.xiboutique.org/assets/pro..._scratch_2.jpg

atrianglepi 08-08-2011 04:28 PM

I have two sweatshirts from college that I saved. I gave one to my daughter last year when she joined. After she was initiated, I gave her the second one( it has the crest.) She wears them proudly even though they are 25+ years old.
She in turn gave me an ADPi shopping bag/Tote make from recycled plastic that was given to all the NM. I carry it frequently when I need to "tote" stuff around.