GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Mutual Selection in Formal Recruitment: Not So Mutual? For PNMs and Parents. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=127132)

MaryPoppins 07-16-2012 09:50 PM

Bump

MaryPoppins 07-17-2012 08:33 AM

bump

HQWest 07-17-2012 12:07 PM

Another good way to think about it is like college admissions. If you didn't get invited back to one chapter - its probably not that they don't like you (they might not have had a chance to get to know you), its that they had someone else who they saw fit better into their program. They only have a certain number of spots.

Maybe it was GPA, maybe they already had friends or a sister in the chapter, maybe they had awesome rec letters, but there was someone else that fit better than you. If you are going to school out of state or a first generation rushing - just like job applications, you have had less of an opportunity to advertise yourself before recruitment. Before dropping out completely its time to evaluate what your goals for joining a GLO are.

Was just to meet people? Or to network? You have already done that. Will they still be your friends if you bump into them in class - probably.

Was it to find a home a way from home and a support network as a freshman that can help you get accustomed to college life? Then you have to think about - those girls at the chapter that invited you back still offer that. They may not have been your favorite the first day - but they want YOU, they see something special in YOU that you can bring to their chapter. (Nobody always has the best first impression? right?) On the other hand, are you prepared to give what just having a group to belong to might offer for a year to try again?

Just like college admissions - if you don't get your top choice right off the bat, is it worth sitting out a year - knowing that you will have a very small chance of making it on the second try either? Or could you take your energy and be a star wherever you fit in?

FSUZeta 07-17-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HQWest (Post 2159698)
Another good way to think about it is like college admissions. If you didn't get invited back to one chapter - its probably not that they don't like you (they might not have had a chance to get to know you), its that they had someone else who they saw fit better into their program. They only have a certain number of spots.

Maybe it was GPA, maybe they already had friends or a sister in the chapter, maybe they had awesome rec letters, but there was someone else that fit better than you. If you are going to school out of state or a first generation rushing - just like job applications, you have had less of an opportunity to advertise yourself before recruitment. Before dropping out completely its time to evaluate what your goals for joining a GLO are.

Was just to meet people? Or to network? You have already done that. Will they still be your friends if you bump into them in class - probably.

Was it to find a home a way from home and a support network as a freshman that can help you get accustomed to college life? Then you have to think about - those girls at the chapter that invited you back still offer that. They may not have been your favorite the first day - but they want YOU, they see something special in YOU that you can bring to their chapter. (Nobody always has the best first impression? right?) On the other hand, are you prepared to give what just having a group to belong to might offer for a year to try again?

Just like college admissions - if you don't get your top choice right off the bat, is it worth sitting out a year - knowing that you will have a very small chance of making it on the second try either? Or could you take your energy and be a star wherever you fit in?

Wonderful analogy!

Always AlphaGam 08-07-2012 04:08 AM

Bumping -- good reading material for the new people.

mandyk01 08-10-2012 07:24 PM

PNMs don't care about the process as much as you think

At my school we use Alumni Rho Gammas and I have done it for the past five years and I am rarely asked how it all works. It makes me think the PNMs don't really care...or at least the y don't know they should care about the MS process.

From a Panhellenic standpoint I am pretty honest and tell all the women that they have some say but the decision ultimately lies with the sorority (especially in low quote schools).

KSUViolet06 08-10-2012 08:54 PM

^^^That may be so at your school, but I think we're talking more about competitive recruitments and schools where PNMs do in fact, care.

AGDCanada11 07-19-2013 06:28 PM

bump - it's that time of year!

FSUZeta 05-14-2014 02:04 PM

Here is a link regarding recruitment, not getting invited back to your favorite chapter and how to deal with it and the proper way to behave:

http://www.yoursororitysister.org/gu...y-recruitment/

carnation 06-17-2017 12:19 PM

TTT--it's almost that time!

KSUViolet06 06-19-2017 08:52 PM

I wrote this quite some time ago. It is still true.

Man, I was once good at giving advice. lol.

AZ-AlphaXi 06-20-2017 10:13 AM

As much as I love RFM and love the positive changes that it has made, one of the things that we've lost and is now hidden is the knowledge of all the actual invitations issued to the PNM. When the PNMs actually received their invitations, it was clear that ABC, DEF, and XYZ did or did not invite you back. There was no question about ranking XYZ lowest but getting invited back "because they wanted me more than my most favorite ABC so that's why I'm going back to XYZ instead of ABC". The PNM physically had the evidence in her hands that ABC did in fact not invite her back.

33girl 06-20-2017 04:39 PM

Is that really part of RFM though? Did rushees at huge systems like Alabama actually get individual physical invitations for each round? That seems like a huge amount of work.

FSUZeta 06-20-2017 07:57 PM

We did at FSU with 18 sororities at the time. And it was hand bid matching-God bless those dedicated alums!

Titchou 06-20-2017 08:07 PM

WE had the old computer punch cards and green/white printouts in the 60s at Alabama.