GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumni Involvement (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   do any alumni wear letters? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=121098)

Kevin 08-07-2012 10:32 AM

Not really, no. I can't think when I'd wear a lettered shirt or even a t-shirt on any occasion besides possibly as a workout shirt.

When I attend alumni events, it's either going to be black tie, to which I wear a traditional tux. If it's for homecoming or to attend Greek Week, I'm typically wearing a polo with the school colors or at least a school-colored tie/neutral sports coat, etc.

MysticCat 08-07-2012 11:22 AM

I wouldn't wear letters like a jersey, but I do still wear tee shirts that have letters. I also have a fraternity tie and this shirt:

http://www.sinfoniastore.org/PDGImages/red-FULL.jpg

that I will wear when appropriate, including to more casual alumni functions. Beyond that, I have lots of things that are red and black without letters.

WCsweet<3 08-07-2012 12:12 PM

I wear non-block letter shirts like ones from bid day, philanthropies, recruitment etc. The only time I have ever worn block letters was to an Alumnae Panhellenic meeting where everyone was asked to wear them.

TriDeltaC 08-21-2012 07:09 PM

I love wearing letters while traveling... especially air travel. I've seen a couple of you post cute stories about this, and finding your letters where you might not expect it! Always fun to meet a sister from a faraway chapter =)

GammaBelle 08-22-2012 04:15 PM

As a volunteer, I have ended up with a ton of GPB swag, and it has become part of my daily life. I use a bag with letters on it as my tote for work, take branded water bottles to the gym, and use our beachy Orlando convention tote as my pool bag. I have to say though, I would feel odd carrying these items if I were not heavily involved as an alumna. Whenever someone asks or looks at me funny, I can always say "I'm an advisor and one of my chapters gave me this."

One of my neighbors has a subtle KKG Alumna sticker on her car that I am totally jealous of :)

stargazertechie 08-29-2012 02:42 PM

I frequently wear them while traveling, on dress-down days at work, and if I'm going out for the night to somewhere casual (and I don't plan on drinking)

KillarneyRose 08-29-2012 03:16 PM

I have a ring with our Crest on it, and a t shirt from our Centennial Celebration back in 2002, but that's about it. I always mean to order a "DZ Alumna" sweatshirt but keep forgetting about it.

If we were allowed, I would love to have my Badge made into a pendant. I'd likely wear it much more often than I do.

NinjaPoodle 08-29-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 2076481)
This varies by council and conference.

In the NPHC, alumnae/alumni wear symbols/letters anywhere the organization's protocol doesn't prohibit. The key is understanding that symbols/letters include but are not limited to 'nalia tshirts. If it can be done in a grown folks style, NPHCers do it until the dayyyyyyy weeeeeee dieeeeeeeee.

ETA: I am not saying that there are no variations within councils and conferences; or that the NPHC is the only council or conference in which members tend to wear symbols/letters as alumnae/alumni.

At bolded blue, yes, yes, yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty (Post 2079230)
..I wear them when I .. travel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2164950)

Ditto

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillarneyRose (Post 2173323)
I have a ring with our Crest on it,

When I have the funds, I will purchase a ring with our shield.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriDeltaC (Post 2170083)
I love wearing letters while traveling... especially air travel. I've seen a couple of you post cute stories about this, and finding your letters where you might not expect it! Always fun to meet a sister from a faraway chapter =)

Which is exactly why I will always have on something with letters when I travel. I've met several greeks this way including my own sorors.
As for everyday wear, I have a baseball hat that has seen better days but I love it.

alum 08-29-2012 05:16 PM

I sleep under mine! :)

SigKapSweetie 08-29-2012 08:49 PM

Just got my Lilly sorority tote, and I will be sporting it all over town!

OleMissAnchor 09-25-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alum (Post 2173370)

Alum, beautiful t-shirt quilt. I'm learning to quilt, and I hope that I can put one together myself.

I do wear a lot of anchor things, especially t-shirts and jewelry...letters, less often. I'm a relatively young alumna, and I might be mistaken for an NCState or Duke collegian if I wore them :confused:. I like stitched-letter shirts, and I wish it was more commonplace for NPC women to wear letters after graduation so that I could rock some new custom letters!

mama3delta 09-25-2012 02:41 PM

I wear a lavalier and have the three triangles on my car. I have 3 sets of lettered tees. I want to wear them more, like on the weekends, but I don't.

alum 09-25-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OleMissAnchor (Post 2181039)
Alum, beautiful t-shirt quilt. I'm learning to quilt, and I hope that I can put one together myself.

I do wear a lot of anchor things, especially t-shirts and jewelry...letters, less often. I'm a relatively young alumna, and I might be mistaken for an NCState or Duke collegian if I wore them :confused:. I like stitched-letter shirts, and I wish it was more commonplace for NPC women to wear letters after graduation so that I could rock some new custom letters!

Here is a link to t shirt quilt instructions:http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...3&postcount=12 Right now there is a very cute pink and blue anchor motif flannel that is being sold at JoAnn's that would be great for the back of a DG quilt.

AmoXO 09-27-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie (Post 2173515)
Just got my Lilly sorority tote, and I will be sporting it all over town!

I bought the Chi O Lilly scarf and I *love* it.

I'd love to get the tote, though ... I really like the Lilly prints.

Tulip86 09-29-2012 05:16 PM

^
Ditto on this as I asked my mom to turn my shirts into a quilt for Christmas :D