GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumni Involvement (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   do any alumni wear letters? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=121098)

GeorgiaGreek 09-30-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZTA72 (Post 2182004)

I do have a question for all of you...I have a request from one of my greek daughters to have a t shirt quilt made for her Christmas present. I will not be sewing it, does anyone have any recs for a good company to have it made.
Thanks so much!

Try going on etsy.com; there are many people who will make you a quilt if you send them the shirts. You might even be able to find one in your area to avoid shipping all that material both ways!

alum 09-30-2012 10:19 AM

Call your local quilt shop to get contact information for the nearby quilt guilds. There are usually members who take commissions. The majority of the quilts that I do are for greater DC residents but I have had customers from afar. I am always so nervous between the send date and the client's receive date. Of course it's insured but that really doesn't help as the item is unique.

tcsparky 09-30-2012 10:24 AM

As I work in an environment with MANY NPHCers, I don't feel weird wearing letters or carrying items with letters. It happens every day, and I actually blend in instead of stand out. This helps me feel comfortable wearing them other places, too. In fact, I don't even notice sometimes that I am carrying stuff. This summer I got on the plane wearing my alumni polo shirt. I got cold and pulled out my cobranded Autism Speaks zip-up. After we took off, I got out my Nook, in the leather carrying case with the crest on it. And put it all back into my lettered tote. I know, overkill. But I don't really pay attention to what is branded and what isn't!

IUHoosiergirl88 09-30-2012 12:45 PM

In terms of daily stuff, I wear a lavalier and carry an ADPi tervis tumbler, and still have letters on my car (recent grad). I work out in letters and I will wear lettered tshirts if I'm out running errands/traveling in hopes to meet Greeks of any type.

When I get my very own cube (after doing cartwheels because I won't be seat hopping anymore!) I plan on putting up a little Alphie or something small, nothing major. I rep my alma mater far more than I rep ADPi day-to-day

honeychile 10-01-2012 01:27 PM

When I'm traveling, I use ADPi luggage tags, ADPi pens, or try to wear something simple, like a ring. I've met so many sisters from so many GLOs that way! My favorite was an older woman who kept starring at what I was writing (I thought!) until she couldn't control herself anymore and asked to see my pen. She checked it out, laughed, and said, "I'm a Phi Mu!"

I see nothing wrong with the grey, grandmotherly type wearing her letters - if she looks presentable. I always figure that she wore them long before I had anything to say about it! I've known several alumnae who met due to one or the other wearing letters - two were next door neighbors!

alum, I really love your quilt!

PhiAlpha05 10-08-2012 01:22 AM

My situation might be a little different, coming from a local (and now attending grad school without my chapter), but I'll still wear my rush/pregame tshirts to the gym and such, and I wear my lavaliere sometimes while giving conference papers, etc. Admittedly, if I hadn't already worn them into the ground, I'd probably still be wearing the lettered flip-flops as well!

TPA85 10-08-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZTA72 (Post 2182004)
I do as well, and as you all can tell from my user name, I'm not young!

I do have a question for all of you...I have a request from one of my greek daughters to have a t shirt quilt made for her Christmas present. I will not be sewing it, does anyone have any recs for a good company to have it made.
Thanks so much!

I LOVE Mary's Quilted Memories. She does impeccable work and takes great pride in what she does.
Here's a link: http://marysquiltedmemories.com/

PanseyGirl 10-08-2012 02:01 PM

I wear my Tri Delta ring and my DDD Reunion tee shirts during the day when going to the gym, store etc.

scrapcat 10-08-2012 11:19 PM

My daughter and i are working on her quilt! She kept a few shirts and fleece but the rest are going into the quilt. She gave away a lot of her shirts during Senior Send Off. But did keep her die-hard favorites.

DPhiEforMe 10-22-2012 07:54 PM

I handed almost everything down. I still have a pair of sweats (my favorites) that I wear, and a windbreaker that is still in great condition. It has the letters on the chest, rather than across the back.

The quilt idea is beautiful. Wish I had thought of that before!!

Beachcomber 10-22-2012 08:33 PM

I have not personally used this company but I have been a fan of them on facebook for a while and their work looks exquisite! One day, I would love to have a high school one and a college one made!

https://www.facebook.com/FishtailDesigns

ASK_Cyclone 10-23-2012 02:42 PM

I've kept all my letter shirts. Since I work on the same campus as my chapter, I get a lot of wear out of my letter shirts. I wear them to alum events we hold twice a year. But I have also taken quite a few and they are going into my college t-shirt quilt.

For daily wear in the lab, its my lavalier and my membership pin is only worn for ceremonies.

alumni 06-14-2013 03:57 PM

I wear them when I go pick up my monthly welfare check;):D

chiojes 07-30-2013 08:15 PM

I wear several sorority necklaces and my college ring has my letters on it as well. I have the lilly bag as well...my best friend from high school made me a quilt out of most of my t-shirts but I have several shirts from alumni events that I wear occasionally...I don't think I would wear my jersey for instance but other items are fair game...
and of course..
THE OWLS

I have too many owl jewlery items due to them being EVERYWHERE now and people knowing I like owls. LOL

Amy9413 02-10-2014 07:45 PM

Would it be weird to wear letters as a grad student at a school with a chapter of your sorority? Some of the schools I'm looking at for grad school have a Delta Zeta chapter and I'd love to keep representing DZ, but I feel like I might get judged by the undergrad DZs at that school.