GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Transwomen and rush. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=248273)

jbakajp 05-02-2023 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWTXBelle (Post 2494750)
I have several transgender friends; I have a family member who is transgender; I have taught transgender students. Not a one of them was doing it for attention, and in fact, they would have loved to NOt have attention given to them for being transgender. That, of course is anecdotal and not something to base a general statement on, but luckily, resources exist which are more far-reaching: https://apnews.com/article/transgend...c77b5371c6ba2b

Some people's fascination with others genitals is worrisome. You start getting into chromosomes and hormones, and open up a whole can of worms that can easily be avoided by simply allowing people to be themselves.

The issue should be the pressure put to bear on KKG members to pledge someone they didn't wish to pledge, and who apparently did not meet the minimum qualifications.

As to creepy, criminal, or bothersome behavior - it should be addressed with the individual via the proper channels, be they the law, administration, or those in charge.

If we're talking strictly about the KKG lawsuit, then there are clearly identified issues it addresses, such as failure to follow written membership determination procedures, satisfaction of minimum grade requirements, etc.

However, the larger issue is the letting people be themselves - is a transgendered woman an actual man or an actual woman? Why should society (or a sorority) be obligated (demanded) to treat, accommodate, and accept a transgendered person as opposite of the person's birth sex/gender? And if/when a transgendered member reverts to his birth sex, then the sorority has to deal a gazillion issues it never would have had, but for lack of staying true to its founding as an organization of, by, and for women.

It doesn't matter if the anecdotal majority of transgendered persons don't *want* attention, it matters that the sororities are turning themselves inside out to accommodate those that want to be members. Supposedly, this is very few people, and yet, the time and treasure of the sororities on the chapter and national level being spent on the matter of transgender acceptance is astonishing.

SWTXBelle 05-02-2023 12:54 PM

The sex assigned at birth is usually based on genitals, while we now know that factors such as chromosomes and hormones can make that determination wrong, not to mention intersex births (usually 1 in 1500 - 2000) births. If you want to use birth certificates as the standard, be aware that in many states they can be changed (47); so how do you propose to gatekeep? Genital inspection? Chromosome id? Hormone tests?

I also would like some hard data as to how often this has been a problem for a sorority. What is this "turning inside out" that is occuring? I admit I am only current on mine, so on what are you basing the idea that it is taking an "astonishing" amount of time and treasure?

jbakajp 05-02-2023 01:02 PM

@SWTXBelle - I appreciate your questions, and I will address them soon. Your patience is appreciated.

SWTXBelle 05-02-2023 01:44 PM

FWIW - It seems to me that birth certificate would be the way to go; it would weed out anyone who wasn't serious enough to go through the process to change their birth certificate, and would be an issue only for the three states which don't allow the change.

FSUZeta 05-02-2023 02:36 PM

“This isn't about disrespecting men or trans people's journeys," added Levang. "This is about the value and importance of women-only spaces and our rights as women to protect them. To give that up without a fight would be the biggest setback for women since suffrage." Patsy Levang, former KKG foundation president, PR Newswire, commenting on the KKG lawsuit.

GoldenAnchor 05-02-2023 02:39 PM

Newsflash

Other women aren't a threat to a space for women. Y'all sound like a bunch of TERFS.

carnation 05-02-2023 02:40 PM

So often liberals respond by calling names.