GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Most Important Words of Advice (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=127748)

UGAalum94 07-08-2012 04:23 PM

Most Important Words of Advice

I'm psyching myself up to write a bunch of recs and so I'm thinking about recruitment. We may not need this as a separate thread since we've got so many others, but I was thinking it might be fun to compose a list of each of our top piece of advice that we'd have PNMs follow, even if we know it's practically impossible.

Mine would be:

Try your best to like all of the chapters as much as you can.

carnation 07-08-2012 04:27 PM

Let's see...don't pay attention to the other PNMs, who may appear gorgeous and self-assured. You could end up with a bid and they may not. You never, ever know.

ComradesTrue 07-08-2012 04:51 PM

Don't make rash decisions (i.e. dropping out) when your emotions are running amok. See the process through, no matter what. Give the chapters who invited you back a chance to show you what they are about. Scores of people have had their minds changed by groups later on in the week. You don't have to sign the card following pref, so nothing is lost by completing the process.

Greek_or_Geek? 07-08-2012 05:02 PM

Recruitment is a lot like dating. Sometimes the flashy charming guy who makes a great first impression and all the girls love isn't the right one for a long term relationship.

BAckbOwlsgIrl 07-08-2012 05:25 PM

YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT

No matter what you think that you will know will happen, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT.

SORRY, SISTA YOUR CRYSTAL BALL AND EVERYONE ELSE'S IS BROKE.

I don't care what people have told you and how much you have read, even on GREEKCHAT...YOU CAN'T PREDICT THE FUTURE.

This why I encourage women to stick it out at all phases.

That wicked ass bitch, you know the one who is nice once every 28 days?
She could end up being your being your best friend.
You just DON'T KNOW.
That one moment when you are at your lowest, when you least expect it, she will clean off your puke-ridden comforter, take care of you and get you to bed with the towels that she found in your closet.
She will console a broken heart, shattered dreams; encouraging to you put your big girl panties, hold your chin high and show the world that you can and will kick ass!

Or maybe she won't. YOU JUST DON'T KNOW.

carnation 07-08-2012 05:29 PM

^^^ awesome

ASUADPi 07-08-2012 05:43 PM

1. keep your mind open. Not all chapters excel during formal recruitment.

2. remember that you are only meeting a small % of the sisters, if the chapter is huge, YOU WILL find someone you mesh with.

3. ignore the recruitment gossip. I know easier said than done but why would you base a life decision on what other 18 year old girls are saying?

4. complete the recruitment process. dropping out because you think you didn't get a "top" house is selfish. Think of all the girls who were completely dropped from recruitment, they would KILL to be in your spot!

5. don't come onto greekchat asking us "what are my chances". we can't tell you that. we don't even know you. plus, we cannot share our membership selection practices.

TNAuburnMom 07-08-2012 05:57 PM

My most important piece of advice is call or text your mother daily, especially right after you get a bid.

carnation 07-08-2012 06:02 PM

^^^ Like! Like! Like!

FSUZeta 07-08-2012 06:09 PM

See the process through until the end.

AXOrushadvisor 07-08-2012 06:11 PM

1. If you do not connect with one girl in the Chapter she is just that, 1 girl. There are probably 50 more you will connect with.

2. A lot of stuff you hear during recruitment about Chapters is JUST NOT TRUE! I even hear stuff about my own Chapter that is just false.

3. If you don't like a group please do not be rude or unkind. Mind your manners.

4. Take the process all the way until the end. If you don't like the Chapters your preferencing go through the process you might change your mind and you might not. You really have nothing to loose.

5. If you get to the end of the process and you can not see yourself in any of the Chapters you have left DO NOT SIGN YOUR BID CARD. If you get to the end of the process and you only want one chapter ONLY PUT THAT CHAPTER DOWN.

DeltaBetaBaby 07-08-2012 06:27 PM

Don't panic and carry a towel.

KSUViolet06 07-08-2012 07:03 PM

Treat every day like it's the first day all over again.

What I mean by that is when you get your first round of cuts, look at your list, and pretend that these chapters are the only ones that exist and that it's your first day ever meeting them. Give them a fresh chance every day.

KSUViolet06 07-08-2012 07:07 PM

Another related piece of advice:

Sleep on it.

Mad because you don't have a full schedule? Mad because your top choice cut you right before Pref?

Don't make any decisions right then. Sleep on it.

You'd be surprised how differently you feel about a situation after getting a full night's rest.

KSUViolet06 07-08-2012 07:09 PM

Last one for now:

That roomie you just met that is going through recruitment with you? What works for her may not work for you. So don't feel like because you are roommates that you need to be in the same chapter.

This also goes for your BFF from HS.

Make the best decision for you. Not your hallmates, roommate, best friend, etc.

Chances are very good that the friends you have now won't be the ones you have in a year or two. Do you really want to base your decisions in recruitment on them?

AnotherKD 07-08-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl (Post 2157416)
No matter what you think that you will know will happen, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT.

SORRY, SISTA YOUR CRYSTAL BALL AND EVERYONE ELSE'S IS BROKE.

I don't care what people have told you and how much you have read, even on GREEKCHAT...YOU CAN'T PREDICT THE FUTURE.

This why I encourage women to stick it out at all phases.

That wicked ass bitch, you know the one who is nice once every 28 days?
She could end up being your being your best friend.
You just DON'T KNOW.
That one moment when you are at your lowest, when you least expect it, she will clean off your puke-ridden comforter, take care of you and get you to bed with the towels that she found in your closet.
She will console a broken heart, shattered dreams; encouraging to you put your big girl panties, hold your chin high and show the world that you can and will kick ass!

Or maybe she won't. YOU JUST DON'T KNOW.

On that note? I met a girl on my freshman hall that I absolutely hated. And, she hated me. I rushed and pledged first semester that year, and she rushed the spring semester. She saw me at a rush event and almost didn't stop by, simply because of me. Yadda yadda, she became my little. I still, about 15 years later, consider her one of my best friends, even though we see each other only once every 2 years or so. :)

AOII Angel 07-09-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherKD (Post 2157444)
On that note? I met a girl on my freshman hall that I absolutely hated. And, she hated me. I rushed and pledged first semester that year, and she rushed the spring semester. She saw me at a rush event and almost didn't stop by, simply because of me. Yadda yadda, she became my little. I still, about 15 years later, consider her one of my best friends, even though we see each other only once every 2 years or so. :)

That's really funny. You never know!

If you don't fall in love with the chapter that gives you a bid, "find your home", or know deep in your heart that you ended up in the place you were meant to be at the end of the week, don't give up. Formal recruitment is a very superficial and artificial week. You haven't really gotten to know the sisters in your new sorority. Give it some time and real effort. You won't regret it, but you probably will if you quit without even giving it a shot.

LSuz19 07-09-2012 12:51 AM

Go in with the attitude of not caring who invites you back after the first two rounds. Even if you have favorites after round one (which you really shouldn't), tell yourself you don't care if they drop you. Just be grateful for any invites you get back!

DubaiSis 07-09-2012 02:51 PM

Try try try to live in the moment. We have all gotten so used to having a conversation while texting while watching TV while eating dinner that it can be hard to do just one thing at a time, but this is the time to get rid of everything in the world except that one girl you are talking to right at this moment.

MaggieXi 07-09-2012 03:07 PM

For every negative you come up with (or hear) try to find a positive. Each house has something great to offer.

And this is your recrutiment, no one else's (not your moms, your sisters, your bff, your roomates or your brother's girlfriend's cousin's half sisters). Listening to your instincts is the most important.

Take stock in who you are. It's ok not to be or be comfortable with the perfectly polished girl in the "top tier" that "everyone" else wants.

KSUViolet06 07-09-2012 03:17 PM

I mean this in the nicest way possible.

You may have been special in your hometown.

You're not special in recruitment.

So please use summer to get over your high school specialness.

What I mean is, don't think "Oh, I'm getting into the top house on campus, I was Homecoming Queen. Duh!"

That's great, but if we're dealing with a competitive recruitment, you're probably not the only 4.0 Homecoming Queen. So please get over it. Sooner rather than later.

Cheerio 07-09-2012 03:52 PM

Trust your Recruitment Counselor, especially if you aren't familiar with the recruitment process.

DeltaBetaBaby 07-09-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2157545)
Trust your Recruitment Counselor, especially if you aren't familiar with the recruitment process.

Sigh. I wish this were good advice, but SO MANY RC's get SO MUCH wrong.

happilyanchored 07-09-2012 04:29 PM

Something I learned first-hand: don't judge the other girls in your Gamma Chi/Rho Chi group by their covers. For all you know, one or more of them could be your sister(s) by the end of the week. And also some of the most amazing people ever.

One girl in my group who I knew tangentially through others not only ended up joining the same sorority as me, but also eventually ended up in the same pledge family! My first impressions of her were definitely wrong and I am so happy to call her my sister and close friend today.

UGAalum94 07-09-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2157547)
Sigh. I wish this were good advice, but SO MANY RC's get SO MUCH wrong.

Yep, it appears common enough on GC that recruitment counselors either give out incorrect advice or that the PNMs don't understand what they are told.

Cheerio 07-09-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGAalum94 (Post 2157551)
Yep, it appears common enough on GC that recruitment counselors either give out incorrect advice or that the PNMs don't understand what they are told.

Mine was extremely helpful. But that was back in the day...

Perhaps all incoming freshman women should be told, "We've done away with RCs, they never know what they're doing anyway. Go read Greekchat, those people are awesome and knowledgeable. You'll do fine." ;)

UGAalum94 07-09-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2157554)
Mine was extremely helpful. But that was back in the day...

Perhaps all incoming freshman women should be told, "We've done away with RCs, they never know what they're doing anyway. Go read Greekchat, those people are awesome and knowledgeable. You'll do fine." ;)

Can you imagine what that would lead to? :eek:

My RC was very helpful too. Most probably are.

But if the people posting here are accurately reporting what they were told, there are a bunch of campuses not following NPC guidelines and/or a significant number of RCs who give people wrong advice about how bid matching works, the consequences of ISP (is it Intentional Single Preference or Single Intentional Preference SIP for "suiciding" these days?) or the conditions under which you're eligible for COB or snap bids.

Fortunately, I think a relatively small percentage of PNMs are ever affected negatively. But you would have no way of knowing if you were one of them until after you listed a chapter you didn't want on your bid card because you'd been told that maximizing your options gave you a better shot at your top group. Ugh.

gebbie 07-09-2012 06:13 PM

Treat every girl you meet very nicely-- the girls in your Gamma Chi group, your Gamma Chi(s), every active you meet, and anybody else for that matter! You have no idea where you or anybody else will end up.

Do not speak poorly of houses or treat houses poorly.

Be open to all houses. Every chapter has something amazing to offer.

When in doubt, don't drop out. I know a lot of girls who were shell-shocked after big cuts or became surly after losing their early favorites who regretted making a rash decision.

Relax. Enjoy the opportunity to meet so many exceptional women.

gee_ess 07-09-2012 09:58 PM

Start fresh at each round.

On pref night, tell the house you like, that you like them. this is not the time to play hard to get.

ladybug12 07-09-2012 09:59 PM

We want you to go Greek, no matter what the letters.

It will enrich your college years and give you wonderful mentors in the years to come. You will grow in so many ways...whether you are the "superstar PNM" who wins Homecoming Queen thanks to the campaigning of her sisters or the shy smart girl who needed the quiet support of her sisters to have the confidance to take the MCAT or LSAT.

And, stay involved beyond your college days... whether it is by paying national alumnae dues, working with your Alumnae Panhellenic Chapter, or being a chapter adviser or national officer. Some (most) of my best friends are women that I have met through my alumna experience.

33girl 07-10-2012 12:41 AM

Quit listening to all those people who say "look around at the girls at pref, those are the girls who will be in your pledge class and who will be your closest sisters!"

Your sorority is NOT just the girls in your pledge class, unless you choose to be very lazy and make it so. This is especially true of smaller chapters. In a chapter under 80 or so, your pledge class doesn't mean squat in the long run, after your pledgeship is over. Look at them, yes, but don't let either awesome or sucky rushees standing next to you at pref make your decision for you.

I think this bad advice is what makes people come on here all freaked out that they aren't bonding with their class.

carnation 07-10-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2157645)
don't let sucky rushees standing next to you at pref make your decision for you.

Hahahaha! LOLOL! Oh my gosh, we are rolling on the floor over here.

HQWest 07-10-2012 10:12 AM

In the words of Mick Jagger -

"You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes
well you might find
You get what you need "

SLAM<3 Always 07-10-2012 12:17 PM

My 2 cents...

I promise your social life won't be ruined if you don't get "top" house! Even the houses which aren't considered "best" on campus still have an active social life, participate in Greek events, have formals, etc and you will still meet more people on campus than if you didn't join (usually).

At my school it's very common for certain sororities to always have events with the same fraternities, as I'm sure happens across the country at other universities. Don't judge a sisterhood on a brotherhood. Your promise is forever and you won't know 99.9% of the guys you meet in college 10 - 20 years down the road. If you know one, you're probably married to him. If you know 2, it's probably your husband and the best man in your wedding.

Remember everyone is human. The sisters in every house are just like you and also joined to meet new people. They have their own talents and abilities, cherish them.

Just because you joined ABC, doesn't mean you will only ever be friends with ABC sisters. It's more than ok, it's encouraged, to meet sisters in other organizations including the house which dropped you. Along those same lines, if your rude to everyone in a particular house during recruitment they will remember that even when you join another organization. Is that how you want to start out your college experience?

GammaPhi88 07-10-2012 12:39 PM

Be nice to your Rho Gammas. Don't speak badly about any sorority towards them. It is okay to talk with them about having a tough time or being upset generally with your schedule, but don't say anything mean about any house. In a perfect world, you could be less filtered and say what you want. But it isn't a perfect world, and you never know how seriously they take disaffiliaton. So don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Also, leggings are not pants.

KSUViolet06 07-10-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2157645)
Quit listening to all those people who say "look around at the girls at pref, those are the girls who will be in your pledge class and who will be your closest sisters!"

Your sorority is NOT just the girls in your pledge class, unless you choose to be very lazy and make it so. This is especially true of smaller chapters. In a chapter under 80 or so, your pledge class doesn't mean squat in the long run, after your pledgeship is over. Look at them, yes, but don't let either awesome or sucky rushees standing next to you at pref make your decision for you.

I think this bad advice is what makes people come on here all freaked out that they aren't bonding with their class.

This is very true. Example: I'm friends with the women I pledged with, but my college best friend and house roomie is in the class 2 years before me. I also continue to be best friends with my Little Sis who pledged the semester before I graduated (and is 2 years younger than me.) So your class doesn't always determine who your friends are.

DeltaBetaBaby 07-10-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2157730)
This is very true. Example: I'm friends with the women I pledged with, but my college best friend and house roomie is in the class 2 years before me. I also continue to be best friends with my Little Sis who pledged the semester before I graduated (and is 2 years younger than me.) So your class doesn't always determine who your friends are.

Hell, some of my closest friends from my chapter are not even women I was close with IN COLLEGE.

UGAalum94 07-10-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low C Sharp (Post 2157728)
You're right, but I think that's a big if. RXs are young and the rules are complex, so they may often get things wrong. But students are geniuses at half-hearing, getting a message backwards, etc. Anyone who works in student services will tell you that the single biggest challenge is just getting students to absorb instructions. With rush, throw in that these are new freshmen, it's a nerve-wracking situation, and they're in an artificial social structure that doesn't have any parallel elsewhere in life. I would expect a LOT of mis-hearing and tangling of information inside the PNMs' heads under those circumstances, even when the RXs are explaining it well.

No doubt. I think that the advice "to trust your recruitment counselor" is still a little complicated since in some ways, we might as well say, trust what you believe that your RC has told you even though you completely misunderstood.

I do think that most RC are probably good, informed, caring folks, and a PNM would be better off with RC advice than that of a lot of other sources they'd be likely to consult.

keyplayer 07-10-2012 11:28 PM

The one thing I can say is DON'T QUIT! My top choice dropped me right before pref when I went through recruitment last year and I thank the Lord that they did. I know now that they are not the house for me and I ended up exactly where I was supposed to. It's true that when a door closes, a window opens.

KSUViolet06 07-13-2012 08:35 PM

Remember: You can only get ONE bid.

Whether you have a full schedule or 2 chapters left after a round, in the end there can only be one.

So don't concern yourself with how many invites the next girl has.