GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Careers & Employment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   So my contract ended early.... (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=76596)

Taualumna 03-15-2006 03:19 PM

So my contract ended early....

.....I wasn't supposed to finish until this summer, yesterday, I was informed that I was being let go due to the lack of work. So I'm back in the job-hunting market. I *THINK* I have an info session set up with a company next week or the week after (I was told to call back to book with a someone who is currently on vacation), but nothing else yet..

Anyone else ever been let go due to the "lack of work"?

Lady Pi Phi 03-15-2006 03:30 PM

Re: So my contract ended early....

Quote:

Originally posted by Taualumna
.....I wasn't supposed to finish until this summer, yesterday, I was informed that I was being let go due to the lack of work. So I'm back in the job-hunting market. I *THINK* I have an info session set up with a company next week or the week after (I was told to call back to book with a someone who is currently on vacation), but nothing else yet..

Anyone else ever been let go due to the "lack of work"?

I have been let go because of lack of work. I also hated this particular job. If they didn't let m go I was going to quit. It took sometime before I found another job (but only because I wasn't really look and I went back to school instead).

I found another job pretty quickly after I really started looking. Just keep plugging away out there.

AOIIBrandi 03-15-2006 04:05 PM

I have also been let go due to lack of work and as in Lady Pi Phi's post I hated the job, so it turned out good for me. It also took some time for me to find a new position. Mostly because my husband's job decided to transfer us pretty much immediately after I was laid off, so I was looking for a job in a new city that I didn't live in yet.

aephi alum 03-15-2006 08:28 PM

It's happened to me twice. The first time, I was caught completely by surprise (although I shouldn't have been - I was working for a dotcom and it was 2002). The second time, I saw the writing on the wall a couple of months ahead of time, and launched my job hunt. By my last day, I was well into the interview process with the company I currently work for, so I was only out of work for a few weeks.

I hope you find something new soon. Keep your skills up to date, and don't give up. :)

wrigley 03-15-2006 09:26 PM

It happened to me. I started out as a temp. The company bought out my contract because I was doing such a good job. But if the business hits a slump, there's nothing you can do about it. The owners were awesome people. They gave me a great recommendations and my next job was an easier find because of their help.

Cheer up something will turn up soon. :)

Taualumna 03-16-2006 07:43 AM

Thanks everyone...the good news is that I'm being paid until the middle of April (my last day it the end of the month)...I'll keep everyone posted :-)

Taualumna 05-17-2006 11:41 PM

Update!

Well, I've had constant interviews (as in WEEKLY interviews) since I finished my contract...today, I got a phone call from one of the companies, and I've been asked to go in to meet with the higher ups on Tuesday to discuss starting dates, etc...

YAY FOR WORK! :)

There is another place that is supposedly going to get back to me later this week. This place is a non-internship position.

*keeping my fingers crossed*

jon1856 06-20-2006 01:31 AM

Work lay off

I was laid off that way to.
Posted myself on all the big job boards:
ajb.org
monster.com
et al and had three very fast calls. Working on an offer right now....