GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   University of Texas at Austin (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=13309)

crandazzo3x 12-26-2001 03:10 PM

University of Texas at Austin

Ok, ok. I've read about all the other schools and sororities. Does anyone go to UT or know someone who does? Personally, I think the Greek system at UT is kinda screwy, but still a great place to pledge. Am I wrong or just biased b/c I've got family ties to the University & Greek system?

What are your thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?

Maybe I should be a little more specific: What does anyone think of the sororities at UT? There are 14 of them.

AXO
ADPi
AEPhi
AZD
APhi
XO
Tri Delt
DG
Theta
KD
Kappa
Pi Phi
SDT
Zeta

XO_Princess 12-26-2001 07:35 PM

I had 2 friends from hs pledge Chi O at UT, and another pledged Kappa. All three are great girls-friendly, down to earth-they seemed very representitave of their chapters.

BrownEyedGirl 12-27-2001 08:48 PM

I'd definitely recommend that you check out their Greek Life page - click here.

I really don't know much about UT-Austin except that I hear it's lots of fun to be Greek there! Also, George W. Bush's daughter Jenna is a Kappa Alpha Theta there (but who doesn't know that?), and ZTA Day in Texas always has a great turnout. The Texas ZTA's are very successful and raise the most money of any state in the country (SC is second!!) for ZTA's foundation and philanthropy. Hope this helps a little!

Sue_XO 12-28-2001 01:22 PM

I really liked their greek life page- a lot of information with the listing of g.p.a and dues. I feel that if the university supports a quality greek life section for their website- the greek life must be strong at the school. :)

ChaChiLXA 12-29-2001 02:09 AM

Being at school near Austin, and always partying in Austin with my buddies up there that are in fraternities. I would have say that they have a pretty good greek system, it could be alot better. They have alot of fraternities and sororities. But you have to keep in mind that UT is a very large school, rich in tradition along with their athletic programs, and greek life isnt like a main spectrum on campus, though as far as I know all the fraternities and sororities have pretty good numbers. But I'm not sure about the quality of the greek life there. The sororities probably do alot better than the fraternities. But there alot of different organizations there to choose from. And as far as the website, I dont think it is very helpful at all, it lacks alot.

kristiAZD 12-31-2001 12:03 AM

My aunt was a Zeta there and loved it. She graduated about 10 yrs. ago, but she still goes down and visits the house every once and awhile. She said that some of her best memories are from there.

justamom 12-31-2001 08:19 AM

One of my daughter's friends pledged ADPi this fall. The system is like all other large, SOUTHERN systems, very competitive and rich with political/historical connections. Her uncle holds an upper level state position in Tx. I know she had connections to AXO and XO, but never heard the details of her rush. She appears to be very happy.

When I went there, BRIEFLY, it was so different from UofH. Just like so many others have stated, when you have a strong Greek system, it's hard to find a sorority that isn't good. There is SO MUCH MONEY, let me repeat THERE IS SO MUCH MONEY!!!! Sometimes things ARE out of touch with what the average income is. Parents would buy their kids ORANGE cars!!! (Like A&M and LSU)

Austin is so wonderful though. It has a very creative atmosphere
and the music scene is so strong. You can readily find other venues through which one can grow.

Bad press in Austin is very democratic. One day its the Greeks, the next day the athletes get it. Let's not forget those"pot-head, weed smokin' stoneheads"...they catch hell too.

kristiAZD-Texas and ZTA, a strong combination!

aggieAXO 01-01-2002 05:51 PM

I have helped out with rush at the AXO chapter a couple of times. Rush is very competitive between the houses. From what I understand greek life is very big on campus.

I think it is odd though that many girls don't have crests and letters on their cars. At A&M we always had letters or if you were initiated a crest with letters and during rush every sorority shoepolished there car with letters-it was almost like a competition to see how many cars had XYZ's letters on it. UT does not do this, I think they should-it is great advertisement.

Some of my family memebers were greek at UT, cousin/aunt were thetas and uncle DTD. Ditto to JAM statements-lots of money to go around

valkyrie 01-01-2002 05:58 PM

There is some discussion of the UT sororities on page 2 of the LSU rush thread --

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

Sweetums 02-09-2002 01:22 AM

Can anyone tell me what DG is like at UT Austin? I'm thinking of going there for graduate school, and I'd love to know more about the DGs . . . what's their reputation in Texas, more specifically, UT? Thanks!