GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   I pulled tax information for 34 fraternities during the pandemic years (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=248607)

fraternitynik 12-06-2023 07:09 PM

I pulled tax information for 34 fraternities during the pandemic years

I recently explored tax information for 34 men’s fraternities (all IFC groups, as their corporate structures most closely resemble one another) during the COVID-19 years.

Greek Life is, after all, a nine-figure economy. . .

I wrote an article about it, but will just share some takeaways and the raw information here.

1. “Insurance” absorbs about 20% of fraternity expenses and an increasing share of student dollars.

2. Overall, fraternities managed to cut expenses to match (and in many cases exceed) drops in revenue. This is likely due to the grounding of traveling consultants. In my time at an HQ in 2014-2017, travel for consultants would easily surpass six figures in a given year.

3. No real information on whether member dues revenue declined due to discounts or drops in membership. I think I remember hearing that the effect of the pandemic shut downs were not as bad as expected on membership, and the consistent revenue for risk fees may imply that the drop was due more to dues discounts.

What is also hard to say is how insurance costs will change now that we are beyond the height of shut downs.

Here’s the spreadsheet:Google Docs

Here’s a “report” of sorts: Report

PKT4LIFE 12-06-2023 08:23 PM

Wow, this is really interesting. Thank you for posting. I saw my organizations' numbers.

I knew that insurance is a big chunck of fraternity expenses, since fraternities are considered high risk in the eyes of insurance companies.

As far as membership and dues. Prior to COVID, we were at 5,500+ members, now we are at 3,500+ members. Do the math and see the loss of income from dues. We closed 8 chapters due to the pandemic but they were already struggling and on "life support".

navane 12-07-2023 09:10 AM

Oh the report is interesting. I wish you would do one for NPCs!

fraternitynik 12-09-2023 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 2501473)
Oh the report is interesting. I wish you would do one for NPCs!

In the future, I hope so. Pulling the information isn‘t difficult, but it is time consuming. The next time I do this; however, it won‘t be a multi-year thing. I‘m trying to figure out about how big the Fraternity/Sorority „economy“ is.

My guess is $350,000,000+ when factoring national/chapter dues, campus fees, and all of the products and services catered to FSL orgs.

shadokat 12-18-2023 02:57 PM

I love a good investigation - not as good as Nik, but still good info. I dug and dug and can't find Tri Delta, but the rest is there.

NPC Info

navane 12-19-2023 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadokat (Post 2501721)
I love a good investigation - not as good as Nik, but still good info. I dug and dug and can't find Tri Delta, but the rest is there.

NPC Info

Very cool, thank you!

fraternitynik 12-21-2023 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadokat (Post 2501721)

NPC Info

This is awesome! Thanks for pulling this together :D