GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Transwomen and rush. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=248273)

naraht 10-14-2022 01:10 AM

Transwomen and rush.

I don't believe that all of the NPC have the same policies on Transwomen, does anyone have information on how Rush works when an applicant can be admitted to some of the sororities and can not be admitted to others?

(My *guess* was that as of 1990, that the NPC sororities all had the same admission requirements in that regards, I have no idea how far back you would have to go before you had religious or racial differences admission requirements among the NPC members, 1960s?)

carnation 10-14-2022 06:13 AM

I guess they go to the parties but get cut by those groups.

Cheerio 10-26-2022 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2492103)
Edited...
(...I have no idea how far back you would have to go before you had religious or racial differences admission requirements among the NPC members, 1960s?)

I'm not clear on precisely what you are asking. Some NPC groups initiated Asians and/or Blacks during the 1950s.

AZTheta 10-27-2022 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2492103)
I don't believe that all of the NPC have the same policies on Transwomen, does anyone have information on how Rush works when an applicant can be admitted to some of the sororities and can not be admitted to others?

(My *guess* was that as of 1990, that the NPC sororities all had the same admission requirements in that regards, I have no idea how far back you would have to go before you had religious or racial differences admission requirements among the NPC members, 1960s?)

Why are you asking about Membership Selection? What is your interest, exactly? Enlighten me (and others, I suspect).

FYI, recruitment, not rush, is the term you want to use. Please. Thank you.

Titchou 10-27-2022 06:38 AM

Why don't you look up recruiitment information for various campuses? Such as Alabama which has their Greek Chic booklet online??????? Or the membership section of the 26 NPC groups' websites? It's out there for you.

naraht 10-27-2022 01:27 PM

I'm not interested for this for which of the 26 allow Transwomen, I'm interested in how a local Panhellenic would deal with the situation where a subset of those going through recruitment are allowed to be members of some sororities and not allowed to be members of other sororities. Today, that issue would cover Transwomen, I think it has been many years since it was true about something else.

shadokat 10-27-2022 01:30 PM

Not hard to find...

Many national organizations have created LGBT-inclusive membership policies. In the National Panhellenic Conference, Delta Phi Epsilon is explicitly open to trans and non-binary individuals,[2] and sororities open to any individual who identifies as a woman include: Alpha Chi Omega,[3] Alpha Delta Pi,[4] Alpha Epsilon Phi,[5] Alpha Omicron Pi,[6] Alpha Sigma Tau,[7] Chi Omega,[8] Delta Gamma,[9] Gamma Phi Beta,[10] Kappa Alpha Theta,[11] Kappa Delta,[12] Kappa Kappa Gamma,[13] Phi Sigma Sigma,[14] Sigma Sigma Sigma,[15] and Theta Phi Alpha.[16] Sororities open to any individual who identifies and lives as a woman include: Alpha Gamma Delta,[17] Alpha Xi Delta,[18] Delta Delta Delta,[19] Pi Beta Phi,[20] Sigma Delta Tau,[21] and Sigma Kappa,[22] while Zeta Tau Alpha specifies that the individual must "consistently" identify and live as a woman.[23]

Never mind the source numbers...just copied.

bevinpiphi 10-27-2022 01:39 PM

I assume it would work in a similar way to grade cuts - the women still go to the parties, but are not invited to further rounds if they do not make grades for the chapter - or in this case, do not qualify for membership in a certain organization.

DGTess 10-27-2022 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevinpiphi (Post 2492299)
I assume it would work in a similar way to grade cuts - the women still go to the parties, but are not invited to further rounds if they do not make grades for the chapter - or in this case, do not qualify for membership in a certain organization.

Dumb question - how would they know? They'd have to either ask or surmise. Surmising could lead to all kinds of stereotypical reactions.

I ask this because I have an acquaintance with whom I've had several long discussions. To look at her, one would immediately think trans woman, but she has mentioned to me more than once hormonal issues she's had throughout her life. I certainly would not dream of asking.

carnation 10-27-2022 07:20 PM

It all comes down to if they like someone.

QueenD 10-27-2022 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2492297)
I'm not interested for this for which of the 26 allow Transwomen, I'm interested in how a local Panhellenic would deal with the situation where a subset of those going through recruitment are allowed to be members of some sororities and not allowed to be members of other sororities. Today, that issue would cover Transwomen, I think it has been many years since it was true about something else.

It’s been true for grades for decades. Some sororities have higher grade requirements to pledge than others. Local Panhellenics put disclaimers that state Panhellenic policy and state that individual chapters may have different requirements.

FSUZeta 10-28-2022 10:15 AM

Each sorority has national membership requirements. Neither NPC nor the local collegiate Panhellenics may infringe on those requirements.

naraht 10-31-2022 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenD (Post 2492305)
It’s been true for grades for decades. Some sororities have higher grade requirements to pledge than others. Local Panhellenics put disclaimers that state Panhellenic policy and state that individual chapters may have different requirements.

Ah. So just as a Transwoman may only be able to be invited to pledge by 15 of 20 sororities on campus, an applicant with a 2.6 her first semester may only be invited to pledge by 14 of the 20.

Thanx, I hadn't thought of grade requirements as something that would separate the chapters in that way.

Titchou 10-31-2022 06:50 AM

We talk about GPA requirements and "grade risks" all the time on this site. Those women are typically released first round.

bevinpiphi 10-31-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGTess (Post 2492300)
Dumb question - how would they know? They'd have to either ask or surmise. Surmising could lead to all kinds of stereotypical reactions.

I ask this because I have an acquaintance with whom I've had several long discussions. To look at her, one would immediately think trans woman, but she has mentioned to me more than once hormonal issues she's had throughout her life. I certainly would not dream of asking.

They wouldn't know, per se...we don't ask for birth certificates, so it's all down to disclosure...and I feel like that gets sticky. The qualification for memberships in many organizations is, "are you a woman?" and since trans women are women...