GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Teacher confiscated AKA shirt from girl at school (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=248548)

navane 10-07-2023 01:36 PM

Teacher confiscated AKA shirt from girl at school

A teacher in Nashville saw that a child in her class was wearing an AKA shirt. Since the child is not a member, the teacher confiscated the shirt and gave the child a new shirt. Complicating matters...the child is white and got the shirt as a hand-me-down from the mother's friend.

I would think that, because "AKA" are Latin letters, which don't read as "Greek", the mother didn't know it was a "Greek" shirt. Plus, a general member of the public wouldn't know what the significance of 1908 is anyway. They probably thought it was just the logo of the clothing brand or something. The teacher could have addressed it differently than to take the little girl's shirt from her and sending her home in a different outfit.

Link: https://www.newschannel5.com/news/wh...-letters-on-it

Phrozen Sands 10-07-2023 02:37 PM

We’ve got teachers teaching students how to make “black face” art for Black History Month, so that’s lightweight, although not surprising to me. Some of these teachers don’t need to be teaching.

Zach 10-07-2023 06:27 PM

Who handed down the shirt? I’d start with that first. I know a lot of white Sigmas, so race isn’t the issue for me. It’s the person that handed down the shirt that I would have a problem with.

carnation 10-07-2023 06:55 PM

I see a lot of Greek shirts at the Salvation Army and Goodwill, so maybe they got it there.

navane 10-07-2023 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach (Post 2499910)
Who handed down the shirt? I’d start with that first. I know a lot of white Sigmas, so race isn’t the issue for me. It’s the person that handed down the shirt that I would have a problem with.

Honest question, the shirt appears to have been manufactured to be a child's sized shirt and, I assume, be marketed to children. Is the daughter of an AKA allowed to wear the shirt even though the child did not pledge and is not a member?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation
I see a lot of Greek shirts at the Salvation Army and Goodwill, so maybe they got it there.

Possibly. If this was the case, are we to shame poor people who wear hand me downs or have to shop at a thrift store for clothes? :(

Zach 10-07-2023 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 2499914)
Honest question, the shirt appears to have been manufactured to be a child's sized shirt and, I assume, be marketed to children. Is the daughter of an AKA allowed to wear the shirt even though the child did not pledge and is not a member?

They usually specify. For kids, I’ve seen “Future (insert GLO), or my mom or my dad is a (insert GLO). That’s the first time I’ve seen a shirt designed for a kid without specifying. I’m a teacher myself (6th graders), and I felt the teacher was a bit out of line. You don’t take some clothes off of some parent(s) kid’s back. She should have figured a more appropriate way to handle the situation.

I’d be upset if saw anything PBS at a thrift store. I usually give my PBS items away to new members, or cut out the letters, shield, etc. frame it and hang it up somewhere in my house. Never do I just leave my letters in just anyone’s hands.

Cookiez17 10-07-2023 08:04 PM

I had told Greeks to never give their old gear to shops like goodwill, as it could end up in the hands of a non member. Most organizations have t shirt swaps where you can sell old or unwanted gear, or you can try to give them to another member.

ASTalumna06 10-07-2023 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach (Post 2499910)

It's a shirt on a 7-year-old. Who cares?

Zach 10-08-2023 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2499925)
It's a shirt on a 7-year-old. Who cares?

I’m assuming you saw the same clip I did, so obviously the teacher cared enough to snatch the shirt off the 7 year old’s back, as if she thought she was going to an AKA party to stroll, holding one pinky up, yelling “Skee Wee!” Duh.

Cheerio 10-08-2023 09:37 AM

ASTalumna06, you're right. She's a kid. Who cares?

In summer 2020 (height of pandemic) I saw a 15-16 year old girl wearing a nice, clean, beautifully designed, 1991-dated IU Kite, Key and Anchor Party tshirt. She was in an ice cream parlor with several friends (no parents). I loved seeing her in the shirt, and wondered if/where she was a legacy.

Without having discussed the matter with the girl, my main takeaway was that she and her Mom must have shared some truly special, quality time that year discussing Greek Life.

carnation 10-08-2023 09:40 AM

Someone who makes Greek shirts has to be giving their overload to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Awhile back, I posted about how a bunch of teachers were riding down our main street and I saw some Guatemalan guys wearing pink AKA shirts with green sewn-on letters. We were close enough to them that I could see the folds from newly-opened shirts.

I commented to the elderly AKA in the middle of the seat something like, "Hey, look at your new sisters!" and she looked and screamed, "WHAT?" and started trying to climb over me and get out of the moving car! We had to hold her down to keep her from jumping out!

Phrozen Sands 10-08-2023 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach (Post 2499934)
I’m assuming you saw the same clip I did, so obviously the teacher cared enough to snatch the shirt off the 7 year old’s back, as if she thought she was going to an AKA party to stroll, holding one pinky up, yelling “Skee Wee!” Duh.

Lol!!!!

Phrozen Sands 10-08-2023 10:57 AM

Now I’ve got this mental image of the 7 year old in the front with that substitute teacher all the way in the back… strolling Lol
https://youtu.be/qbQA6tHgAtg?si=NueNo8RIN5YhOw78

Sen's Revenge 10-08-2023 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2499936)
Someone who makes Greek shirts has to be giving their overload to the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

That's a plausible situation that I hadn't considered.

Cookiez17 10-08-2023 08:11 PM

I did see some Chi Omega crafts at my local Salvation army, but I naturally didn't pick it up.

On the other end, what are the chances a Greek pops into a thrift shop, finds a shirt from their org, and buys it?