GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How do you deal with REJECTMENT (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=108490)

KSUViolet06 11-05-2009 11:22 AM

Rarely is the question asked "is our children learning?"

southbymidwest 11-05-2009 11:38 AM

They may still see you as a valued member, just not in that position. Buck up, put your big girl panties on, don't whine or moan or be witchy to the girl that did get the position. And don't bug your sisters asking why you didn't get it. It doesn't matter anymore, it is done. Be gracious. Move on to other opportunities.

Zillini 11-05-2009 02:28 PM

I've seen many officer elections over the years and can honestly say that the most qualified candidates don't always get elected. Some of the reasons I've seen:

- Candidate was already active in a ton of campus orgs, clubs, challenging course load/major, had a job, etc. Chapter members wanted someone with more time to dedicate to their org.

- Candidates experience was primarily external, meaning on campus orgs/clubs. Chapter members wanted someone who was active, committed, and proven herself within the Chapter. In addition, members may not know about someone's external experiences while they know exactly who always shows up at the house for work.

- Chapter members voted for who was more popular instead of who was more qualified. These are 18-21 year olds and they don't always see the big picture.

- Candidate knows she's the most qualified and got cocky. Chapter members thought electing her would fuel her ego and she needed to be taken down a notch.

- (How shall I put this delicately?) Chapter members voted for a less qualified candidate who was more "polished and personable". After all the Pres is also the official public face of the Chapter.

knight_shadow 11-05-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1864345)
Rarely is the question asked "is our children learning?"

I think they is.

knight_shadow 11-05-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SydneyK (Post 1864292)
You're right, but I commend the OP for having the braverism to open up to strangers like she has.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 1864319)
It was very couragement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agzg (Post 1864332)
Seems like someone else had better strategery.

LOL

I see you're channeling PB :p

thetygerlily 11-05-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zillini (Post 1864384)
I've seen many officer elections over the years and can honestly say that the most qualified candidates don't always get elected. Some of the reasons I've seen:

- Candidate was already active in a ton of campus orgs, clubs, challenging course load/major, had a job, etc. Chapter members wanted someone with more time to dedicate to their org.

- Candidates experience was primarily external, meaning on campus orgs/clubs. Chapter members wanted someone who was active, committed, and proven herself within the Chapter. In addition, members may not know about someone's external experiences while they know exactly who always shows up at the house for work.

- Chapter members voted for who was more popular instead of who was more qualified. These are 18-21 year olds and they don't always see the big picture.

- Candidate knows she's the most qualified and got cocky. Chapter members thought electing her would fuel her ego and she needed to be taken down a notch.

- (How shall I put this delicately?) Chapter members voted for a less qualified candidate who was more "polished and personable". After all the Pres is also the official public face of the Chapter.

Zillini makes some great points. And sometimes, like with membership selection/recruitment, the chapter/nominating committee/etc sees a piece of the picture that you don't. A couple years in, I was slated for a position and when they called me, I literally asked "Really? Are you sure?" I was completely surprised, it wasn't something I expressed interest in, and I wasn't sure it was right for me. But utlimately they were right and it was my favorite role as an officer.

Perhaps the chapter saw something in someone else that you or maybe even she didn't know was there. Or maybe it came down to involvement (too much or too little, internal or external) or popularity. We really can't know. The best thing to do, assuming you still want to stay involved, is try to let it pass and give your all to whatever comes next. Good luck to you!

Ghostwriter 11-05-2009 03:06 PM

I just went into a "funkitation" :confused: and then transferred to a different school. That will teach them to not elect me VP!!!:rolleyes:

MaggieXi 11-05-2009 03:17 PM

Back in the day (I can't believe I graduated 10 years ago) we had a huge problem with cliques in our chapter. I will admit that the girls at that time that were part of the executive board were all part of the same clique and would slate other girls of the same clique into the positions for the following year even though there may have been members that were more qualified.

southbymidwest 11-05-2009 04:14 PM

I believe the technical term for clique issues is "cliquetationism". :)

aopirose 11-05-2009 04:31 PM

Sounds like a bunch of trickeration going on.

knight_shadow 11-05-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aopirose (Post 1864421)
Sounds like a bunch of trickeration going on.

Maybe even some holleration in this dancery.

epchick 11-05-2009 04:46 PM

You all are being so mean to the OP, maybe you just misunderestimated her!

MaggieXi 11-05-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southbymidwest (Post 1864419)
I believe the technical term for clique issues is "cliquetationism". :)

What I was trying to explain was a Cliqueocracy.

knight_shadow 11-05-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieXi (Post 1864431)
What I was trying to explain was a Cliqueocracy.

Stop being such a cliquetator.

jessica.lanelle 11-05-2009 05:47 PM

Oh, LMAO to this thread!