GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   longhrn_cutie18's University of Texas at Austin 2005 Rush Story (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=68667)

longhrn_cutie18 07-23-2005 09:25 PM

longhrn_cutie18's University of Texas at Austin 2005 Rush Story

I'm from a small town in Idaho near Boise, and most people from ANY high school in Idaho go to either Boise State, University of Idaho, WSU or Idaho State. So when I tell people I'm going to the University of Texas at Austin, they look confused and say "Why?"

Why am I going to UT?
Before visiting the UT campus, I'd never been to Texas or the south at all. I am originally from San Diego and moved to Idaho when I was 7. My boyfriend of more than 2 and 1/2 years went to UT to be on the swim team just before my junior year of high school. We'd never expected that I would even consider Texas until I started looking at colleges. Among my other college choices were NYU, Rutgers, Vassar, Univ. of Georgia, and UCLA. I never wanted to stay in-state for some reason. I'd be lying if I said that part of the reason I chose UT wasn't in some way because my boyfriend. Anyone who has been in a long-distance relationship with someone for 2 years could understand. I also chose UT because I fell in love with Austin and its culture. I loved the UT campus and the people I met. And I loved the fact that I'd be experiencing what college life really is...the football games, school spirit, parties, Greek life, and maybe a little education as well ;)

After all the cutthroat horror stories about rushing at huge schools like UT, why would I still want to rush?
I've heard so much good and bad about Greek life (not just at UT) that there comes a point where you have to kind of choose what you're going to believe and take everything with a grain of salt. Also, there's good and bad points about everything, so I don't expect my experience through rush to be any different! I'll admit that Im going into this a little clueless and with barely an idea of what everything is going to be like, but that's why I'm writing this!

I'm a pretty shy girl when I first meet people, which will probably be my biggest admitted weakness throughout this process, but I'll do my best to overcome that in the next 32 days (rush starts August 24 for me). As far as trying to stand out among 1000 other girls, (I'm not the daughter of a celebrity or political leader, and I don't get an allowance of $100000000 each week), but I have a feeling I'll come to be known as the "Idaho girl" if anything! So wish me luck, and if you have any advice, I'm completely open!

Until next time...hook 'em horns!

Longhrn_cutie18

aggieAXO 07-24-2005 12:41 AM

I did not go through rush at UT but have helped out the AXO chapter a few times. Yes, it is competitive. I think some of the PNMs have a certain house they have their eyes set on and if they are cut it can be devestating. It sounds like you have an open mind which is a very good thing. I personally didn't see much difference between UT rush and A&M rush except at A&M sophomores were not a taboo(not sure about this now though as I rushed 13 years ago). Good luck and have fun. BTW, I have never heard one bad thing about any of the chapters (unlike A&M).

SmartBlondeGPhB 07-24-2005 03:08 PM

Yes, you will most likely become known as the "Idaho" girl. HOWEVER, that's not necessarily a bad thing. You may be the only one and if it helps them remember you, it's not bad.

smiley21 07-24-2005 03:35 PM

I am excited to see the outcome of this one. What an exciting school to rush at. Lots of luck to you!!

DaffyKD 07-24-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
Yes, you will most likely become known as the "Idaho" girl. HOWEVER, that's not necessarily a bad thing. You may be the only one and if it helps them remember you, it's not bad.
My daughter goes to Pittsburgh and everyone refers to her as the "girl from California." She is remembered, and people love to meet someone from somewhere else.

DaffyKD

Munchkin03 07-24-2005 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
She can definitely use that to her advantage!

longhrn_cutie18 07-24-2005 06:38 PM

That's what I quickly became known for at orientation, and I didn't mind :)

Whatever helps!

polarpi 07-24-2005 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DaffyKD
My daughter goes to Pittsburgh and everyone refers to her as the "girl from California." She is remembered, and people love to meet someone from somewhere else.

DaffyKD

Hmmm...I wonder if similar conversations happened with me ;) (not that where I went had NO Californians there, but we were a rare breed...:D)

Ending hijack: Best of luck, longhrn_cutie18!

KunjaPrincess 07-24-2005 10:58 PM

Good luck to you, hope you have fun.

Are you going to post your story? If so be discrete, you already know you may be the only girl from Idaho there so you will be easy to guess who you are... :D

Once again, have fun and hope it all works out in your favor.

mmcat 07-24-2005 11:03 PM

sweetie...get ready to have some fun. go for comfy but nice shoes and make sure you knock out your recommendations. austin is a blast. good good luck.

JKWildcat 07-25-2005 12:19 AM

ohhh what a fun school to go to! One of my best guy friends goes there.. And being from Texas I am a UT fan.. Get ready to say "hook em'" often.. And whenever you see a fellow long horn the window must get rolled down, the hand must go out, and you must display your horns. ;) If you don't know what I am talking about you soon will.. Texas games are SO much fun, I LOVE them.. Especially when they play the sooners..

I think you should go for rush, if nothing else you'll meet alot of great people. Have fun and post your story!

aggieAXO 07-25-2005 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JKWildcat
ohhh what a fun school to go to! One of my best guy friends goes there.. And being from Texas I am a UT fan.. Get ready to say "hook em'" often.. And whenever you see a fellow long horn the window must get rolled down, the hand must go out, and you must display your horns. ;) If you don't know what I am talking about you soon will.. Texas games are SO much fun, I LOVE them.. Especially when they play the sooners..

I think you should go for rush, if nothing else you'll meet alot of great people. Have fun and post your story!

But be nice to us Aggies that are in longhorn territory

longhrn_cutie18 07-25-2005 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KunjaPrincess
Good luck to you, hope you have fun.

Are you going to post your story? If so be discrete, you already know you may be the only girl from Idaho there so you will be easy to guess who you are... :D

Once again, have fun and hope it all works out in your favor.

Is it bad if they know who I am? Don't I want people to know who I am before I get there? I mean I won't say anything bad (I don't really KNOW anything bad!)

longhrn_cutie18 07-25-2005 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JKWildcat

I know all about the horns and "hook em"...I've done my homework!! All the school spirit just makes me even more excited.

UKDaisy 07-25-2005 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by longhrn_cutie18
Is it bad if they know who I am? Don't I want people to know who I am before I get there? I mean I won't say anything bad (I don't really KNOW anything bad!)

You'll want the houses to remember you and know who you are in person. But not on gc. B/c some of them can read the board and then see what you said about each house, etc. It could get ugly. So being very discrete is good.

But anyways, HAVE FUN GIRL... You are going to a great school and great greek system. Can't wait to come back and read your thread.