GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Alabama Sorority Dismisses Member for Slur on Snapchat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=146416)

exlurker 03-05-2015 06:24 PM

Alabama Sorority Dismisses Member for Slur on Snapchat

Chi Omega has dismissed a (now-former) member of the chapter at Alabama for using a racial slur on Snapchat, according to the student paper.

http://www.cw.ua.edu/article/2015/03...ng-racial-slur

According to the article, a similar thing happened in August; at that time Chi Omega at Alabama dismissed a woman who sent a different Snapchat containing a racial slur.

Titchou 03-05-2015 06:30 PM

One would think they would learn...

1964Alum 03-05-2015 06:38 PM

So sorry to hear this about Chi Omega. It sounds like national needs to send someone down for some serious discussions.

33girl 03-05-2015 06:40 PM

I thought snapchat was only between friends and the public couldn't see it?

Titchou 03-05-2015 07:09 PM

And someone did a screen shot and there you go...

thetalady 03-05-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2309488)
I thought snapchat was only between friends and the public couldn't see it?

That is how the service is "sold". When will young people learn that EVERYTHING on the Internet is public?

SWTXBelle 03-05-2015 08:24 PM

. . . and that there is NEVER an acceptable time to use a racial slur?!

1964Alum 03-05-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWTXBelle (Post 2309508)

Exactly. Sadly, I think racism is pretty deeply engrained in some there.

And what makes it even worse is that Chi Omega pledged two AAs this last rush. I wonder how those young ladies are doing with this?

GPhiBLtColonel 03-06-2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

...well, that is true....except if you are a member of said race being "slurred" and using the "slur" in a song you are singing or a book you are writing....;)

KDCat 03-08-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel (Post 2309589)
...well, that is true....except if you are a member of said race being "slurred" and using the "slur" in a song you are singing or a book you are writing....;)

Oh, dear... I am going to avoid the debate about what in group members can say and what out group members can say, because it's complicated and nuanced.

I don't think we should use the bad behavior of people who aren't members of our organizations to excuse or minimize the bad behavior of our members. Just because Kim Kardassian (sp.?) has her ass hanging out all over the internet doesn't mean that I am willing to accept that behavior from one of my KD sisters, especially a collegiate member. Nor do I need to enter into a debate about slut shaming and body pride. It's just not behavior we engage in. What everybody else does is not our business.

GPhiBLtColonel 03-08-2015 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDCat (Post 2309727)
Oh, dear... I am going to avoid the debate about what in group members can say and what out group members can say, because it's complicated and nuanced.

I don't think we should use the bad behavior of people who aren't members of our organizations to excuse or minimize the bad behavior of our members. Just because Kim Kardassian (sp.?) has her ass hanging out all over the internet doesn't mean that I am willing to accept that behavior from one of my KD sisters, especially a collegiate member. Nor do I need to enter into a debate about slut shaming and body pride. It's just not behavior we engage in. What everybody else does is not our business.

For what it's worth, the wink emoticon in my post was meant to convey a joke, something tongue in cheek.

Seraphena 03-08-2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

This! Hope it doesn't happen again.