GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Random Things You've Learned from GC (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=248722)

carnation 05-02-2024 05:45 PM

Random Things You've Learned from GC

I was thinking about this lately since GC is about to be 25. I've certainly learned a ton about the Greek system, but what about random things?

Today, a student actually walked into my classroom wearing a shirt that read, "I LOVE MILFS!" I yelled at him and sent him to the office and he kept muttering that his other teachers had said nothing. He was mad because as the resident ancient teacher, I knew what it meant.

:rolleyes: I should have told him that I learned it on this site years ago.

Phrozen Sands 05-02-2024 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2505636)
I was thinking about this lately since GC is about to be 25. I've certainly learned a ton about the Greek system, but what about random things?

Today, a student actually walked into my classroom wearing a shirt that read, "I LOVE MILFS!" I yelled at him and sent him to the office and he kept muttering that his other teachers had said nothing. He was mad because as the resident ancient teacher, I knew what it meant.

:rolleyes: I should have told him that I learned it on this site years ago.

Lmao! I hollered!

When I first joined this site, I had no idea some folks on here know each other IRL. I learned that, if anything.

Cookiez17 05-02-2024 07:46 PM

So the school I went through pre transfer was a local system. I had no idea about any typical NPC procedures (quota, RFM, etc.) and I barely knew the NPC itself existed. I also took the lessons from past recruitment stories here to heart and was able to join the chapter I'd be initiated in.

It's also was extremely interesting to learn about how huge sorority life is in the south. Up north it's much more chill for recruitment and the overall greek community, but the stories from down south and schools like Indiana really blew me away.

cheerfulgreek 05-02-2024 08:17 PM

Just abbreviations like tldr, etc. I really enjoyed learning about what GCers do for a living. And then, I learned a lot from John about how the forum works. That was really interesting.

LaneSig 05-04-2024 08:39 PM

I learned that NPC recruitment is waaaay more complex than I ever knew. lol

AGDee 05-04-2024 08:50 PM

That the brothel law thing is a myth. I still hear it ALL the time and even heard it when I served on my chapter's house association board and as an advisor. Everybody thought it was real.

Everything I know about NPHCs, I learned here, and I'm really glad I did.

carnation 05-05-2024 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands (Post 2505638)
Lmao! I hollered!

When I first joined this site, I had no idea some folks on here know each other IRL. I learned that, if anything.

A lot of that is because about 20 years ago, we used to have GC meetups. Sometimes we still get together--I spent a mountain weekend with FSUZeta, Titchou, and greekdee 2 years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 2505681)
That the brothel law thing is a myth. I still hear it ALL the time and even heard it when I served on my chapter's house association board and as an advisor. Everybody thought it was real.

Everything I know about NPHCs, I learned here, and I'm really glad I did.

If town governments only knew how many trains were pulled in fraternity houses back in the day...

aephi alum 05-05-2024 05:41 PM

I've learned that sorority recruitment is super intense in the South. I went to school in the Northeast, where recruitment wasn't nearly as stressful.

I've also learned a lot about GLOs that are not NPC sororities. NIC, NPHC, etc.

Titchou 05-05-2024 07:31 PM

I learned that I had connections (6 degrees of separation) to some people here. I learned that GCers will reach out to others for various ways of assistance (like how to find a dress maker in my home town to get her wedding dress remade for her daughter - it turned out great!). I learned that some of us have side groups going as friends and support and that we can be there for each other in sooooo many ways). In other words, I've learned what sisterhood really means in NPC and NPHC.

PrettyBoy 05-05-2024 08:20 PM

I pledged and graduated from an HBCU, so before I came to this site, I never heard of anything outside of the D9, with the exception of when I went to visit the Zeta chapter of my fraternity at Ohio State with some fraternity brothers from my chapter. I saw some houses there, but didn’t make the connection. The very little education I’ve learned about the others outside of the D9, I received here.

Munchkin03 05-07-2024 12:48 PM

Without GC, I'd never know about The Cookie Table.

I also made some good friends and met some really interesting people.

FSUZeta 05-07-2024 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2505702)
I learned that I had connections (6 degrees of separation) to some people here. I learned that GCers will reach out to others for various ways of assistance (like how to find a dress maker in my home town to get her wedding dress remade for her daughter - it turned out great!). I learned that some of us have side groups going as friends and support and that we can be there for each other in sooooo many ways). In other words, I've learned what sisterhood really means in NPC and NPHC.

Yes, the dress refresh was gorgeous, daughter looked beautiful, and it wouldn’t have happened without your recommendation or GC . Thank you! One thing I learned is that our reputation for factual information is public knowledge. When there is a “technical” question, most often rush related, posted on the site that shall not be named, more often than not the OP is referred to GC because “those old ladies know their stuff.” In addition I learned we are very panhellenically/fraternally minded and support one another and our orgs.

honeychile 05-07-2024 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchkin03 (Post 2505734)
Without GC, I'd never know about The Cookie Table.

And you're now the better person for it! Have you experienced it in person yet?

I've learned that some of my favorite sorority sisters don't have the same letters as I.

That I can depend on GC people to write recs for my friends' daughters.

That being greek isn't always about the organization, it's about the experience

And sadly, I will always win the "what went wrong at your wedding?" contest - or at least, be a major contender!

*winter* 05-08-2024 01:17 PM

All sorts of things! I like learning about how other people do things in other places, so hearing about the college experience from all over the country has been fascinating.

The most random but interesting fact I can think of is that people in the south dress up to go to football games. Football= fall here, so it’s all about comfort and warmth!

Cookie tables are the best. I’m glad that new people are continually discovering them.

bevinpiphi 05-09-2024 09:36 AM

I don't remember who, but someone had a link to "Unpacking The Invisible Knapsack" and it was my first exposure to the concept of white privilege (I grew up in a very insulated town and family), and it started my learning journey there.