GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Is it crazy? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=128775)

bml619 08-13-2012 12:26 AM

Is it crazy?

Is it crazy to try and rush at like 27 years old. And have you ever heard of anyone doing it? My whole college life got messed up with my father passing away and I am now just going back to school. And I have always wanted to rush but the college I was first at didn't allow sororities. So I thought Id want to try but would feel embarrassed if its stupid.

WhiteRose1912 08-13-2012 12:41 AM

In general a 27-year-old is going to have trouble in recruitment. If you're at a school that's known for having non-traditional students, and it's reflected in the sorority population, you might have more luck.

thetalady 08-13-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bml619 (Post 2166632)
Is it crazy to try and rush at like 27 years old. And have you ever heard of anyone doing it? My whole college life got messed up with my father passing away and I am now just going back to school. And I have always wanted to rush but the college I was first at didn't allow sororities. So I thought Id want to try but would feel embarrassed if its stupid.

What kind of sorority do you want to join? That makes a big difference...

bml619 08-14-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2166640)
What kind of sorority do you want to join? That makes a big difference...

Honestly I never thought about it. I just assumed they mainlt were relatively equal. I didn't really do much research. Any suggestion on the differences?

adpiucf 08-14-2012 11:53 PM

The honest answer is, yes, it is crazy to rush a sorority at 27.

This is just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt and go after your dream if it is something you really want and don't let any naysayers like me stop you. You've been through some tough times, and I applaud you for going back to school and getting your life back on track. Good luck!

thetalady 08-15-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bml619 (Post 2167415)
Honestly I never thought about it. I just assumed they mainlt were relatively equal. I didn't really do much research. Any suggestion on the differences?

Seriously?? "Relatively equal"?? :eek:

There are many different types of sororities. They have different goals and appeal to different kinds of women. NPC, NPHC, MCGLO, service, locals.

IF it is important to you, then do your research. We don't know anything about you or where you go to school.

adpiucf 08-15-2012 01:04 AM

Hey, I’m almost 30,
But is it crazy
For me to join
where everyone's a decade younger than me, maybe?

Terrible use of the meme, but I felt the need to elaborate on why I think this is a bad idea. You're 27. Please tell me you really think you're going to enjoy spending your free time in the company of people in their late teens and very early 20s as their peer.

DeltaBetaBaby 08-15-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bml619 (Post 2167415)

Let's rephrase the question. Are you looking at NPC sororities, an NPHC sorority, a multi-cultural sorority, etc.?

stargazertechie 08-29-2012 11:38 AM

33girl 08-29-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adpiucf (Post 2167445)
Hey, I’m almost 30,
But is it crazy
For me to join
where everyone's a decade younger than me, maybe?

Terrible use of the meme, but I felt the need to elaborate on why I think this is a bad idea. You're 27. Please tell me you really think you're going to enjoy spending your free time in the company of people in their late teens and very early 20s as their peer.

This post assumes an NPC sorority at a traditional (i.e. nearly everyone graduates in 4 years) school.

There are many many many many other kinds of schools and sororities.

ASTalumna06 08-29-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2167430)
Seriously?? "Relatively equal"?? :eek:

There are many different types of sororities. They have different goals and appeal to different kinds of women. NPC, NPHC, MCGLO, service, locals.

This isn't that shocking to me.

I knew NOTHING about sororities up until my sophomore year of college, and I'd probably still know nothing if I was 27 and never joined while in school.

I'd cut her some slack.

BabyPiNK_FL 08-30-2012 01:04 AM

^^^LIKE. Clearly this person needs to develop an understanding of the concept of sorority and what that means and what is available at her institution before she determines if she wants to participate and which type she'd like to join and if joining is even an option for her. It really does depend on the school.

ADPiUCF - The majority of incoming college students are non-traditional students. While there are still a great deal of traditional students I would advise you to be a bit more open-minded when discussing things simply because the face of "sorority" as we know it is going to change. We both went to schools in FL but it is clear that we had vastly different experiences. That is proof enough.

adpiucf 08-30-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL (Post 2173604)
^^
ADPiUCF - The majority of incoming college students are non-traditional students. While there are still a great deal of traditional students I would advise you to be a bit more open-minded when discussing things simply because the face of "sorority" as we know it is going to change. We both went to schools in FL but it is clear that we had vastly different experiences. That is proof enough.

I'd love to know where you get your statistics. Meanwhile, I'll keep my opinions as they are.

33girl 08-30-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adpiucf (Post 2173692)
I'd love to know where you get your statistics.

I know that my sorority magazine has had SEVERAL articles (some by members and some outlining things that were discussed in national Panhel meetings) about the increase in non-traditional students and that we need to find ways to reach them, as well as open our minds to what "collegiate sorority membership" is supposed to be like.

If you want to play ostrich, though, that's up to you.

adpiucf 08-30-2012 11:58 AM

An unspecified "increase" is not a majority.

Now back to your regularly scheduled "what are my chances" thread.