GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Joining a new sorority on campus (Advice) (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=129798)

shirellestar 10-04-2012 01:11 AM

Joining a new sorority on campus (Advice)

Hi! So here's my story (Sorry for Length, lol, if you want you can just skip to the questions):

I'm a freshman at UNLV and I recently went through formal recruitment at my university. however my story as to why I'm not in sorority right now is a little different. There are 6 (soon to be 7) sororities at UNLV and because of work, I had to miss some of recruitment. On the first day I only got to see 4 of the 7 sororities. I still ranked the 4 I saw but I was kinda hesitant because I knew I was missing some.

The next day of recruitment, I only got called back to 2 sororities. Ironically, one of the 2 I got called back for was one I didn't get to go to the first night, but I thought whatever and just went with it. The other one I got called back for was one I really liked and was my favorite.

Preference day, I only got called back to one and ironically it wasn't the one I wanted. I still went to the other sororities ceremony but I felt deep down that I knew this group wasn't right for me. So with that in mind, I made the hard decision to drop out right before Bid Day. I don't know if this should be noted but the sorority did offer me a bid after I dropped out, but I still politely declined the bid (No point in taking away something from another girl who may really want it)

I really wanted to be in a sorority but it just didn't feel right to kinda settle and just join one so I could be in a sorority. I felt bad that I missed the other 3 because of work, and just thought I should wait until sophomore year.

However, I found another option: Tri- Sigma is coming to my campus this fall and I was thinking maybe this is the right path for me. I read the history of the chapter and it seems really interesting. I like what the group stands for and think it might be kinda cool to be one of the first tri- sigma women on my campus.

So with that I have a few questions:

- What's it like to be in a brand new sorority? How does it usually work?
- Should I wait until sophomore year and give the other sororities another chance? (But with this I'm kinda thinking: If the sororities I went to didn't want me as I am now what's gonna change their minds about me in the future?)
-What are the basic pro's and con's about joining a new sorority?
- When I went to their booth to get more information they told me they want to get about 150 women: How are they planning on doing this? It seems like a lot of girls, imo?

Thank you so much for answering! I really appreciate it!

DubaiSis 10-04-2012 01:27 AM

There are a million threads here about colonies. Go do some reading and come back to us with questions after that.

glittergal1985 10-04-2012 01:27 AM

Did you sign a bid card before you dropped out of recruitment? If you did, then you are not eligible to join any other sorority for one calendar year. If you did not sign, then you are eligible to pursue the colony. However, do not assume that joining a colony is easier than joining an established sorority. While current sororities look for women whom they can "groom" to be leaders for the sorority in the future. colonies are looking for women who are ready to step into leadership positions immediately. It is A LOT of work being in a colony, as you have to meet many requirements to order to become installed as a chapter. Also, colonies are not always successful and sometimes close down without ever being established, so there are not guarantees.

AlphaFrog 10-04-2012 09:22 AM

^^Tri Sigma is colonizing next Fall. It doesn't matter whether she signed a bid card this year.

AOII Angel 10-04-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 2182985)
^^Tri Sigma is colonizing next Fall. It doesn't matter whether she signed a bid card this year.

Nope, they are colonizing now. http://www.facebook.com/SigmaSigmaSi...ref=ts&fref=ts
This is their FB page. To the OP, if they want 150 women for the colony, they'll get 150 women. Colony recruitment works very differently than regular recruitment. They will be looking for women of all years to fill the colony, not just freshmen, so women who missed out their freshman year have a unique opportunity. It is different in that you are building traditions for the chapter instead of walking into pre-packaged traditions. You don't have a big sister, but the organization usually has an alternative for the colony class. You have to work hard to set up the structure of the new group and get to know 150 new people, bc unlike in an established chapter, no one knows each other. With that being said, it can be very rewarding and only a few women get to be colonizing sisters. Read a few threads here. It's not for everyone.

AlphaFrog 10-04-2012 09:49 AM

Oops, I read that totally wrong. Somewhere I thought she said "next fall".

ETA: Actually, I read "this Fall" as Fall 2013 since it seems late in the school year to start a colony.

shirellestar 10-04-2012 11:03 AM

Thanks for all The replys, I wasn't expecting to get anything this fast. I was planning on going to the Tri-Sigma meeting and such. I thought of another question: On average, how long does it take a colony to be come an established chapter?

thetalady 10-04-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirellestar (Post 2183007)
Thanks for all The replys, I wasn't expecting to get anything this fast. I was planning on going to the Tri-Sigma meeting and such. I thought of another question: On average, how long does it take a colony to be come an established chapter?

There is no "average". Each situation and colonization is unique.

Quote:

So with that in mind, I made the hard decision to drop out right before Bid Day. I don't know if this should be noted but the sorority did offer me a bid after I dropped out, but I still politely declined the bid (No point in taking away something from another girl who may really want it)
You said that you dropped out "right before Bid Day". What did you actually DO to "drop out"? You haven't answered the question about whether or not you signed a bid card... that is really critical. If you signed a bid card after Pref, then you are not eligible to rush again until Fall of 2013 even if you rejected the bid that you were offered.

shirellestar 10-04-2012 04:19 PM

I never signed a bid card. I dropped out on pref night which was the day before Bid Day. I told my Rho Gamma my decision right after I got back from one of the sororities preference ceremony. Part of the reason why I dropped was because I didn't get to go all the sororities on the first day because I had to work, also I didn't get one of the sororities I really wanted. I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision before making such a big commitment so I felt it would be better to drop out now before I got myself into something I wouldn't be happy with.

AOII Angel 10-04-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirellestar (Post 2183007)

This is something to address with Tri Sigma.

adpiucf 10-04-2012 05:42 PM

As you didn't sign a bid card during formal recruitment this fall, you are eligible to be considered for membership in the colony, or any chapters on your campus holding COB (informal recruitment; not every chapter will participate, so contact the office of Greek Life if you are interested).

Go to the interest meeting for Tri-Sigma. Your questions will all be answered there. Keep us posted and good luck!

WhiteDaisy128 10-04-2012 07:54 PM

I was in the colonizing class of Delta Gamma at North Carolina State University 10 years ago. It was an amazing experience. I never went through formal recruitment - just the colony recruitment. The new member period for a colony is very similar (time wise) as for a regular new member class -- We were a colony for about 8 weeks before getting our charter.

It is tough though...getting to know so many new women...finding how to work together and learning each member's strengths and weaknesses...establishing who you want to be on campus.

The other sororities are always very positive and welcoming, but there is always a slight stima since you are the "new girls" -- though it quickly goes away once you prove how awesome you are! :p

I had an awesome colony experience and my membership in DG has changed my life in a very positive way.

I'd definitely at least go to the info session to learn more!

KSUViolet06 10-04-2012 08:06 PM

Some of the Frequently Asked Questions about joining Sigma colonies are answered here (see the Colony Programming and other tabs on the side bar):

http://www.trisigma.org/JoinUs.mvc/Extension/Content

Also, a lot of these questions will be answered when you attend the first day of recruitment (Sail Away With Sigma.)

You can also contact our UNLV colony team with any questions at unlvtrisigma@gmail.com

I hope this helps. Please come back and let us know if you end up participating!

shirellestar 10-04-2012 08:43 PM

Thank you so much! The FAQ really helped a lot. I'm so excited for the oppourtunity and I'm just hoping that everything goes well!

Old_Row 10-04-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirellestar (Post 2183085)
Part of the reason why I dropped was because I didn't get to go all the sororities on the first day because I had to work, also I didn't get one of the sororities I really wanted. I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision before making such a big commitment so I felt it would be better to drop out now before I got myself into something I wouldn't be happy with.

Those circumstances still exist since you still haven't gone to all the sororities and you didn't get the one you really wanted. What makes going to a colony different? Is it because they aren't the low tier sorority that wanted you in formal?