GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Jobs you’ve had and liked. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=248552)

Phrozen Sands 10-12-2023 05:19 PM

Jobs you’ve had and liked.

I started a jobs dislikes thread. This thread is about jobs you’ve had and liked, but no longer work there.

I worked as an assistant manager at a restaurant right out of college. I liked it because my food bill was so low. Management got to eat free, even on our days off. We could come in, order whatever, and no charge. I didn’t stay because as a lot of us do, we advance to our goals. I’m motivated by money so that’s why I left. The didn’t pay well at all. Plus, the hours were long and I was salary. Other than that, I liked it.

carnation 10-12-2023 07:42 PM

I like being a professor more than anything. I am that and a teacher.

cheerfulgreek 10-12-2023 07:49 PM

I liked the science museum job I had. All of my jobs with the exception of a few were centered around science. I was also a flight attendant while in college for a short time. This was for a summer flight attendant job. I did it from like June until the end of August, for two summers. I didn’t stay because I was focused on becoming a veterinarian. And then, I later found jobs centered around that. But I liked traveling to different cites and people watching at airports. I didn’t dislike it.

ihearttrisigma 10-13-2023 10:08 AM

Between my Senior Year of HS and college, I worked for our school district on the "paint crew" which was where a bunch of us went to the elementary/middle and HS to paint classrooms, hallways, the football snack shack, and such that needed attention. It wasn't hard work, but it was just a nice way to learn a skill, work with other people/ classmates my age, listen to the radio (yes, the radio on a boombox), and just have this low stress few months before life changed.

Additionally, it isn't that I didn't appreciate it before, but that also made me truly appreciate the work that service workers, maintenance crews and all the "behind the scenes" jobs folks do that don't get enough praise.

LaneSig 10-13-2023 11:38 AM

I enjoy teaching. I have taught at all levels, but people think I'm insane because I enjoy teaching middle school the most. They are crazy little heathens, but I really like them.

I took a break two years ago and became a delivery driver for FedEx Express. I really really liked it. I like driving and being able to move around. I had to leave full-time driving due to family issues. I still work p/t delivering on Saturdays and school vacations.

Phrozen Sands 10-13-2023 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek (Post 2500080)
I liked the science museum job I had. All of my jobs with the exception of a few were centered around science. I was also a flight attendant while in college for a short time. This was for a summer flight attendant job. I did it from like June until the end of August, for two summers. I didn’t stay because I was focused on becoming a veterinarian. And then, I later found jobs centered around that. But I liked traveling to different cites and people watching at airports. I didn’t dislike it.

I had no idea you worked as a flight attendant in college, CG.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2500108)
I enjoy teaching. I have taught at all levels, but people think I'm insane because I enjoy teaching middle school the most. They are crazy little heathens, but I really like them.

I took a break two years ago and became a delivery driver for FedEx Express. I really really liked it. I like driving and being able to move around. I had to leave full-time driving due to family issues. I still work p/t delivering on Saturdays and school vacations.

Nice! I work for FedEx too, LaneSig! I work for the FedEx Office branch of the company though. I enjoy it. Stressful if my numbers aren’t where they should be, but I enjoy the challenge.

KD4Me 10-13-2023 09:04 PM

My favorite summer job was a retail position at a family owned above-ground swimming pool/pool supply store. We were open 10-6/7, so I didn’t have to get up early, and weekdays were pretty slow, which gave us time to try to shoot hoops with a basketball set that was in one of the display pools. Since I was the part-timer, I had the job of testing water that people brought in from their pools. Sometimes it would be amazingly dirty, where it couldn’t even be seen through. The store had a scientific-looking setup that was super simple to use, but it looked like I was doing advanced chemistry. Some people were simply amazed by it, which I thought was hilarious. The people who had the extremely dirty water would often have to come back several times before they got it completely clean, and it felt good to help them. Also, there was no AC, just some sort of water cooling system, so it was crazy hot, but that also meant that I got to dress very casually. It was such a fun job, and even more so because the summer before I had worked an office job with a really terrible environment. I worked there two years and loved it!

AGDee 10-20-2023 09:18 PM

I love my job but it's exhausting in October!

honeychile 10-21-2023 08:52 AM

I've had a few jobs which I loved.

The first was as a Tour Hostess during college. I did this at Pitt's Nationality Classrooms, which are culturally amazing. I loved meeting so many interesting and diverse people, from about 8 years old to the elderly to the odd celebrity. I will probably dine out on stories concerning various tours for the rest of my life!

I was also a Geriatric Counselor for most of my adult life. Every person has a different story, and working with them to help them live their best lives was very satisfying. I had one lovely British gentleman who insisted that I was the Queen, and would have his facility serve us tea when I would visit. I made sure that I wore a tiara on those special dates. Sadly, the red tape involved when I moved was overwhelming, so I stay on the fringes of it now.

One could say that I'm a people person.

Goomaloon 10-22-2023 05:52 AM

I always come back to Mom and Pop. Never had regrets being in an intimate setting, folks with stories, and love for the town they’re in!