GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   After rush ribbons? NM Identification (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=68748)

AnonAlumna 07-27-2005 09:04 AM

After rush ribbons? NM Identification

After reading the t-shirt thread, I was curious: Other than a rush t-shirt, what does your chapter give to your NMs afterwards?

For our campus, every NM was given a safety pin and it had ribbons (about 4in long) tied in a knot around the pin in their new sorority's colors. These were worn everyday on campus and to events. That way everyone knew who you were, and where you went. I mean, you can't wear your rush shirt everyday...as much as you may want to! Plus, it was too early to have received the new member pin, which generally wasn't worn with shorts and tanks anyway.

I was just curious if anyone else had some sort of 'New Member Identification Program'?

tunatartare 07-27-2005 09:12 AM

At my school, all of the nationals give their new members ribbons like that to be worn everyday as NM pins, and they only wear their NM pins when they dress up.

honeychile 07-27-2005 09:37 AM

We all did the ribboning, too. In fact, I still have my ribbons from when I pledged! :)

To clarify: We wore them the first two days of pledging, on Founders Day, and the week prior to Initiation. ALL sisters do it, not just the New Members.

Many sisters save them to wear on their wedding day.

JenMarie 07-27-2005 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by honeychile
We all did the ribboning, too. In fact, I still have my ribbons from when I pledged! :)
I still have mine too!

But yeah, we do the ribbon thing and they get their NM pins later.

Little E 07-27-2005 09:55 AM

We ribboned, and you wore them pretty much every day during pledging. You got your pins about a week or so later.

twhrider13 07-27-2005 10:04 AM

We were given our ribbons and our new member pins on the same day. We were told, however, that the only time we should wear our ribbons was on Founders' Day (and even then, we wore them beneath our badges or new member pins). I still have my ribbons, because we still use them on Founders' Day. Not exactly sure why we only wear them then, though!

AXiDTrish 07-27-2005 10:04 AM

My ribbons are securely tucked away in my scrapbook!

We wore our ribbons with our NM pins for 3 days after pledging in Quill attire (dress attire) in celebration. The chapter wore Quill with us to honor their NM's.

aephi alum 07-27-2005 10:29 AM

AEPhi new members are ribboned as soon as possible after accepting their bids. They are then pinned 1-2 weeks later. NMs are generally encouraged to wear their ribbons as often as possible until they are pinned, then to wear either ribbons or pins depending on how they are dressed.

When I was a new member, we were also given pins that read "I (heart) AEPhi" to pin to our bags etc.

I lost my ribbon when I moved :(

LightBulb 07-28-2005 03:11 AM

My chapter was a colony...

We got our charter this spring (near the end of the semester).

Because of this, we ribboned on Bid Day, and gave the new member pins at the end of the new member period (6-10 weeks). But technically we were all new members, until we got our charter, when we were all (except for spring new members) initiated at the same time (and earned our badges).

Stef the Pef 07-28-2005 03:45 AM

We got ribbons when we walked through the sorority room door on Bid Day, only ours were a KD pin (not an official pledge pin or anything, but silver letters) that held the ribbons on, which was kind of cool, since the other chapters who did ribbons only had safety pins.

Unregistered- 07-28-2005 05:25 AM

Our NMs receive their NM pin at the NM ceremony, but since the pin can and should only be worn while in chapter attire, we give them ribbons of red, buff, and green to wear whenever they're not in chapter attire!

CarolinaCutie 07-28-2005 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by aephi alum
AEPhi new members are ribboned as soon as possible after accepting their bids. They are then pinned 1-2 weeks later. NMs are generally encouraged to wear their ribbons as often as possible until they are pinned, then to wear either ribbons or pins depending on how they are dressed.

This is the same for Phi Mu.

mu_agd 07-28-2005 08:55 AM

Does this happen on a lot of campuses? I've never heard of it before.

ADPiZXalum 07-28-2005 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stef the Pef
We got ribbons when we walked through the sorority room door on Bid Day, only ours were a KD pin (not an official pledge pin or anything, but silver letters) that held the ribbons on, which was kind of cool, since the other chapters who did ribbons only had safety pins.
Yes!! I always loved that about Baylor KD's ribbons. They alwayas looked so nice and classy. :) But yes, we had ribbons, I still have my little blue and white one. I always loved Pi Phis and Kappas and Chi Os, I just thought the colors looked really good together.

jharb 07-28-2005 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by OTW
Our NMs receive their NM pin at the NM ceremony, but since the pin can and should only be worn while in chapter attire, we give them ribbons of red, buff, and green to wear whenever they're not in chapter attire!
This is same for Pi Phi, although you can't wear the NM pin without the colors.