View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 03:01 PM

I would relax the strict-silence rules just a tad. When I was an active, we were not allowed to talk to PNMs AT ALL outside parties - even to explain to them that we weren't allowed to talk to them. The rho chis repeatedly explained the strict-silence rule to the PNMs so they wouldn't misinterpret why Suzy Sister, who was so nice at the party, now literally would not give them the time of day, but I suspect we (the sororities collectively, not just AEPhi) have lost a few PNMs over the years because they ran into sisters outside parties and felt they were being snubbed when the sisters couldn't talk to them.

I would make sure the schedule contained adequate bathroom breaks. It wasn't so much a problem at my school, where rush was held in the student center and there is time between parties to hit the ladies' room (they actually turn one of the men's rooms into a ladies' room during rush, to ensure there are adequate facilities). But from what I've seen on GC, at some schools you could have a situation where there are a lot of sororities on the day's schedule, you accept a drink at each house to be polite, you know it's rude to ask to use the restroom so you don't, and by the time you get to your last house you're doing the potty dance.

And carnation, I couldn't agree more about the songs about how "you're going to wear our pin". To me that sounds a little like promising a bid. A PNM is sure the line is meant for her, then she is devastated when she is cut. Thinking back over the AEPhi rush songs that I remember, I can only think of one that says anything like that, and my chapter only sings that on bid day - when it is appropriate.