View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TxGirl

As for terminology - Recruitment doesn't bother me - it's just so long to type/write. Same for PNM - but I actually kinda like it better. I can't remember what the new one for "pref card" is but it's pretty long to. My pet peeve when it comes to names - calling chapters houses. I joined a chapter of Alpha Xi Delta - I didn't join a house of Alpha Xi Delta. If the house burned down and you built another one - are you still a member if you joined a house??

As for frills no frills - NPC gave recommendations about that in the late 80's - of course they are just recommendations and some campuses have made the change while others have not. At my alma mater recruitment budgets are supposed to be about $10,000, but everyone spends more than that - some spend 3 or 4x more. I've never understood that, but until there is someway to make them stick to an actual budget it will go on. FYI, alumnae doantions are supposed to count into your recruitment budget. Only the use of items you currently have (say from prior recruitments) don't count.

I love the songs and most campuses have rules about so called "hot boxing". While it is different from campus to campus I would say 6 to 1 is a no no anywhere.
I agree the terminology does not bother me at all. I think the change in recruitment from Rush was that Rush made it sound like you were running through a process quickly.

But I agree on the chapter VS house thing. I hate that! Which house did you join.. no I live ina house I joined a chapter. The house is physical and the chapter is people.

Hot Boxing: I believe NPC has rules on this that are or should be standard on all campuses I dont think its different at different places.

The one thing I do know is that Rho Chi's need to be more organized and so do college Panhellenics. One I worked with the Fraternity/Sorority advisor was NEVER a greek and he has no orgnaizational skills. Like party lists coming in the 3rd party or forgetting to put down a legacy, or when PNM's talk about themes and we are no frills rush! He was like I dont know how to find out if they are having a theme... Hello do a house check before rush and during! I think unviersity greek life needs more education and communication to the undergrads to promote a postive and well informed experience especially if there are many chapters on campus and PNM's can get really confused!