View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

PNM Ranking Question

I have just learned of a different way for potential new members to "rank" sororities at the end of each round of parties. My campus has 4 NPC sororities that participate in a fully structured formal recruitment. At the end of the evening, the PNMs rank 1,2,3,4 in the order they prefer to attend the next day's events. They continue ranking 1,2,3,4 throughout the week.

The way I understand the other way, which is supposedly preferred by NPC, is a "cluster" ranking. If, for example, during the next round of parties, a PNM may attend 3 parties of the four, she would rank 1,1,1,2. Then when it comes to ranking for Preference, she would rank 1,1,2,3. Of course after Preference she would have to go to 1,2,3,4 for accurate bid matching (which we do by hand as well as by computer - PRUSH)

The reasoning that I have heard for this is so that mentally, a PNM isn't thinking about how the sororities rank in her mind - rather thinking about any house that she would be happy with and grouping those together.

I read the old thread on PRUSH vs SORUSH and noticed that DeltaBetaBaby and lagirl33 both made reference to ranking this way. We do PRUSH but the PNMS currently rank 1,2,3,4. Then we turn in invite lists and the computer matches them up and the PNMs get a list of where they are going and we get a list of who is coming.

So my questions are: A - For those of you who do it the way of 1,1,1,2 - do you ever have any problems? Do the PNMs ever think it is weird or complain about it? B - Have any of you ever done it BOTH ways and have any insight to offer as to which is best? C - Does anyone know where it is that NPC has recommended this version?

Thank you!