View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Fraternity rush question

Quote:
Originally posted by newsororgal
I have read a lot about rushing sororities and not so much about fraternity rushing, (if that is what it is even called). I am curious, though. My brother is transferring in the fall to a small school (4 fraternities, 1 colonizing) and he is really shy. Super shy. He is so nice and sweet, good looking, dresses nice and looks like he would be totally outgoing but he is the opposite. I told him to look into joining a fraternity to meet people, both men and women. He went to a large school for 4 years and quit and is going back with a new major so he will be there for 2-3 years. He's 22. What are his chances of getting a bid, or is he too old? How do fraternities view this? Is 22 too old?
Fraternities have a more diverse age range-- it's not like with the sororities where freshmen are more of a hot commodity.

Fraternity recruitment is more loosely structured-- typically a fraternity PNM can visit the houses he likes. I encourage your brother to stop by all of them and see which ones he likes the most. Usually someone will come up and chat with him or take him around to meet people once he gets to a party.

Let him do it for himself. He may enjoy the fraternities, and he may decide this isn't for him.

As I always say, there is more to college life than being Greek! Explore all the campus activities to find the right fit-- it could mean going Greek, joining SGA, a volunteer Greek Letter society, Pre-Professional Honorary, perhaps the school newspaper-- or even starting a new campus organization!