View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
If the guy used his gayness to get out of the army, I'd have no respect for him, seeing how he signed up. But he wanted to serve, he's needed, and they're sending him home because they don't like to think about what he does in his free time.

I'm pretty sure you go into the army with Arabic knowledge if you're a linguist. It's not an easy language to pick up in a few years especially if you're going to be negotiating etc.

Sounds like he's getting screwed out of a career and greater benefits if he was career military.
Actually, it indicates that he was a graduate of the Army's language school. My firm has a client who is currently enrolled in that school. It's a high intensity program. True, many people enter the military with knowledge of the language, but the graduates of this school often learn it from scratch. Case in point, the client I mentioned -- she's up there right now learning some obscure dialect spoken in Northern Afghanistan.

I guarantee you, she had no prior experience with this language/dialect.

The policy really is pretty stupid. Gay or straight, these people are needed. Their sexual orientation isn't hurting their work, so I really don't see the problem. Clinton's policy was simply a method of deferring the tough decision to a later date and another person.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma