View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi there-

I'm the Recruitment Adviser for a chapter with a total of 5 NPC groups, and we just completed our first year of "no frills." Like you, the GA is new, and wanted to make BIG changes that the groups were not ready for. However, she has been incredibly supportive and empowering of each group and their individual concerns.

I came through Formal Recruitment in Spring 2001, when chapters served drinks, did skits, balloon arches, individual stationary invitations for each PNM corresponding to the theme of the next round's party, etc... Basically, the "go big or go home" mentality.

Fast Forward to this past Fall (2006). The GA wanted no skits, chants, decorations, matching shirts, etc... Her purpose in proposing these changes was to give a more realistic view of sisterhood and sorority life to the PNMs. My suggestion was to take a look at what we had been doing in recruitment, and ask ourselves...Do we do this in our respective chapters at any other time, than for recruitment?

i.e. I don't get together with my sisters on a Friday night and perform a skit. However, we do wear matching sets of letters for various events.

We ended up using this as sort of a blue print for the recruitment rules. One of the rules regarding decorations was that everything in the room had to serve a purpose. Nothing could be just a thematic space filler. It forced us to pretty much be limited to table decorations, but to be intentional and creative with what we displayed.

Hope this helps...Let me know how it goes for you!