View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

While a phone call is nice, some things to consider... sometimes there are too many women coming through/legacies and not enough time to make those calls...

Our chapters (I think most sororities!) send acknowledgement cards to the recommenders when references and recommendations are received by the chapter. Usually, it's a "Thank you for your recommendation of [Patty PNM]. Best Wishes, ABC chapter of XYZ of sorority."

Adding onto that, this is a good opportunity to let the recommender's know that you may not be able to call them if their PNM is released and that not every legacy/recommended woman is guaranteed a bid. These acknowledgement cards are also an excellent opportunity to solicit volunteers and contributions to your chapter as well as update alumnae on what the chapter has accomplished over the prior school year.

If my imaginary future daughter chooses to go through recruitment, I know I'll be rooting for her to join her legacy sorority on the inside... and I can only imagine how upset she and I would be if she were cut... but the girls run that risk with every chapter at recruitment, not just their legacy chapter... you just have to hope for the best for her and expect the worst. It's one thing if my "kid" gets dropped by ADPi, but what if her heart is set on joining ASA and she is dropped by them? Either way, she's upset, you're upset and there's no advance warning from the non-legacy groups. I realize, it's easier to say that since I haven't been a mom with a kid going through recruitment... but you know what I'm getting at.