View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
At my alma mater, we came up with a way to avoid this problem in the first round. They do round 1 in suites in the student union, even though we have chapter houses. For every chapter to meet every PNM, it takes literally 24 hours, split into 2 days, 8am-8pm, but no one was there the entire time (except for PHA recruitment team).

They had 7 chapters in the Union on Saturday and 7 on Sunday. Although we had 35 groups of about 10-15 PNMs, there were 3 "super groups" for round 1, split into 3 shifts. Shift A PNM groups would come both days from 8am-12pm, shift B PNM groups would come both days from 12pm-4pm, and shift C groups would come both days from 4pm-8pm. All PNMs see the same 7 chapters on Saturday and the rest on Sunday. A chapter is only allowed to have a fixed number of women in the room (like 25 maybe?), but they can rotate their members throughout the day, lessening the burden on individual members. The president, recruitment chair, and recruitment advisor are there all day though.

This way, a PNM won't see if a chapter is smaller, and if any chapter has to double rush for the first round, they all have to double rush that group for the first round because each chapter has a fixed number of members in the room. Plus, PNMs won't have the chapter house clouding their judgement. Also, logistically, things go smoother and faster because there is not much walking between chapters.

There's not a HUGE discrepancy between the largest (95 before FMR) and smallest chapters (80ish before FMR), though there used to be a much bigger gap, 95 being the largest and the smallest being 40-50. If a chapter is way smaller than the largest, the dilemna between double/triple rushing and having sisters from other chapters help will still be present in subsequent rounds, and the members may have to stay more than one shift in the first round. But it is a way to level the playing field a bit more in the first round.
I REALLY like this solution, it's very Panhel and would have been nice to see at my school. It always seems unfair to me that the big groups get bigger (taking over quota) and the small groups stay small. This would definitely make things a little more fair.