View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with points made in posts in this thread, especially:

EE-BO: My point was that at a very competitive school there are a LOT of PNMs who come into rush having carefully researched and planned their recruitment- often years in advance if their mothers were Greek at competitive schools and know what it takes.

So when someone comes here ill-prepared at the last minute and is talking not only about wanting to rush at a competitive campus, but also about only being interested in a certain group of chapters (or perhaps even just one), they have no idea that the ship has sailed. Maybe they can get all those piles of recs etc. done in the 1-4 weeks prior to rush, but odds are they are still going to be far behind where they would have been with proper planning.
. . .

The end result is someone who came into the process without giving it proper respect by trusting it and preparing for it, had unrealistic or misguided expectations and then hates and resents it when they don't get what they want.

I hope my posts on this topic will . . . challenge future PNMs to get ready earlier and put a little faith in the process and in the chapters.

CutiePie2000: That is exactly bang on. On GC, we generally don't hear from girls who got into the "top houses" at UF, Ole Miss etc. That is because these girls are well prepared and they know what they are doing. They are not soliciting random advice from a bunch of strangers on Greek Chat. . . .

LadyLonghorn: Excellent post as usual EE-BO. One of the things I have been contemplating recently is why there seems to be a disproportionate number of unhappy recruitment endings on Greekchat. .....I have come to the conclusion that many of the women coming here prior to recruitment probably lack the understanding of the Greek system that many others already have, so they may not be quite as prepared for a successful recruitment.

So – maybe after the excitement about fall recruitment and fall colonizations has died down a bit, I would encourage GC “regulars” and “experts” to post new or updated information that’s pretty much targeted toward the young women who are “clueless,” “new to it all,” “first in family to consider Greek life.”

In the past I’ve posted a handful of notices about Area Alumnae Panhellenic information (and recommendation – getting) sessions, trying to emphasize that such things can help the “unprepared.”

But the few things I've posted aren't even the tip of the iceberg compared to what a lot of well-prepared young women -- and yes, their parents -- go into recruitment knowing. There's a lot more knowledge that probably could be shared with PNMs. Certainly other GCers can give much more positive and useful info that might help a lot of great young women get up to speed about what to expect, and what they need to do.

Last edited by exlurker; 09-14-2008 at 06:33 PM.