View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

REALLY weird coincidence that I get back on Greek Chat and my thread has been bumped

texas 09,
I unfortunately did not go through recruitment this fall. I will say to you though that i HIGHLY recommend going through all the "what not to do or say" recruitment threads, read up on the recommendations threads and pay attention to the conversation advice threads and listen to what the GC ladies say in other threads. My best friend went through rush at Texas as a Junior and she had a successful recruitment thanks to many of the threads here.
I am extremely pro greek for many reasons including the fact that it is a great way to get involved on campus, make friends etc. Since you are a sophomore I also recommend that whatever your non greek friends tell you about sororities or what you have heard from the fraternity boys or around campus, throw it out the window. Be open minded to all the sororities. There are six wonderful chapters here and there is a fit for all different types of women. Your experience will be ten times better if you do that! If greek life doesn't pan out now, get involved (well you should start now) in other organizations! There are service fraternities and sororities along with all the other student interest groups! Anyways, get involved at school, keep up the grades, and read all the advice threads, they are there for a reason and were extremely helpful getting two of my best friends prepared for recruitment at Texas and Texas State!
Also keep us updated! I've been reading recruitment stories all day and am now addicted! They are so much fun! Plus it would be great to hear how your experience went!

SXTXBelle- I obviously wouldn't know any information about possible expansion but just from chit chat with the sorority women i know, apparently the last expansion vote was shot down (I don't know when that was or for what reason). However they are apparently raising the application fee this year and they are pretty sure they are going to continue to have their recruitment a week or so after school starts. This past year they did some serious Panhellenic promotion before recruitment and I was told it paid off. Roughly the new pledge classes are sitting between 40 and 50 NMs and around 110-130 total chapter members. I know nothing about expansion but there has been steady increases in size every year but there was a huge increase in NMs this last fall. So maybe? Like I said though, it was mostly chit chat between friends but nothing that is official!

Oh I got my numbers from the grade reports (http://www.studentorgs.txstate.edu/greek/grades.htm)

I also wanted to say a belated thanks to those who posted and pm'ed with such great advice for me! While I didn't get to use it, I passed it along to some really good friends and it worked out for them!
Sorry the post is so long!

Last edited by pandah; 02-28-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: I can't spell to save my life