View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
My GLO doesn't offer an AI path to full membership, so I've been fascinated by the divergent and very vocal opinions on AI offered here at GC. I believe the unwavering support and mature leadership of a sorority's alumnae are its strength, so the idea of attracting new members at the alumnae level seems like a good idea to me. Granted, it's critical that the new members who join in that way understand the difference between membership as an alumna and membership as a collegiate -- that they're not trying to revive a missed collegiate experience -- but if they are ready to embrace the alumnae experience, that sounds like it would strengthen the sorority.

But there's one thing I'm still confused about. I'm completely addicted to the collegiate recruitment stories and can't count the number of times the PNMs were advised to keep an open mind and consider every chapter in their search for their new home. But when a PNAM comes along and mentions that she is researching three different sororities, she is lambasted for sorority shopping.

It seems like if you support the concept of mutual selection, it should apply at the AI level as well as the collegiate level.

It just makes me sad to think of strong, smart professionals being turned away from an organization that they want to devote time, energy, and money to....
Comparing collegiate recruitment and alumnae initiation is like comparing apples and oranges. Sure, mutual selection is important for AI, but it is nothing at all like collegiate recruitment.

I've always felt that Alumnae Initiation should be reserved for the women who've helped out the organization in some way, women who are approached by the organization for this privilege known as membership. When a PNAM shops around for sororities she wants to AI, it's saying to me "I've got more than one I want to join, and I want to keep the others around just in case yours doesn't work out."

There's nothing to be confused about. You just DON'T compare recruitment and Alumnae Initiation.