View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ealymc
I'm wondering if I have anything more to contribute here, but as a gay Sigma Nu, I suppose I'd be remiss in staying quiet...

I chose to come out to my brothers shortly after my 21st birthday, the fall following my initiation, which was 5 years ago this month. The truth of the matter is, most of my brothers were already well-aware... they just wanted me to actually own it so it could become one of the things we pick at each other about... if your chapter is anything like mine, we make fun of each other WAY more than we would ever allow anyone from the outside to do. The rest of my brothers had grown to know and love me for who I am, and when they were clued in to the fact I was homosexual, many had real eye-opening and personal growing experiences. I had broken nearly all stereotypes and no one had anything negative as far as my contributions and worth as a member. That was a personal victory because I knew perceptions had changed forever in these men just by me being who I am.

Naturally, as seems the case with many homosexuals, I had classic overachiever syndrome - you feel the need to find some validation by trying to be the best at whatever it may be. As a black gay man in a predominately white fraternity, I was in hyper mode - which in my tenure as an active worked wonders for our name on campus. Orientation Staff leader, student government executive, SOCIAL CHAIRMAN (my one true calling, I think), etc.. I helped really get Sigma Nu's name was out there... all positive. Kind of like my fraternal shout-out to 12 million viewers of Wheel of Fortune two Fridays ago. [You're welcome. ]

Bottom line for me: I think the overall perceptions and societal attitudes towards gays are shifting and there are great advantages to be gained from tapping into this previously untapped niche of rushees. You may not feel the need to actively recruit gays - to each his own - but if you happen to end up with one in your midst, embrace the situation, love your brother for who he is, and see the possibilities that may arise from harnessing this hidden gem.

P.S. I should have charged for my abilities in matchmaking - 3 couples married thus far... All a product of a friend confiding to me her interest in a brother of mine - something she would never have done with any of the other men in my house.