View Single Post
Old 04-27-2002, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Arrow

The overall size of the student body will play a large part in the size of chapters, as well.

I attended a small school (roughly 1500-1700 students TOTAL). Participation in greek life was low, usually between 6-9% of the students. So, naturally, our chapters were smaller than, say, Ohio State down the street The smaller chapters could have literally around 20 active members... I don't recall any of the larger ones having more than about 60. My pledge class was 18 people, and was considered huge. Our chapter usually had between 35-40 actives every semester, which was on the larger end compared to everyone on campus.

I can definately see the benefits of larger chapters, but can't really imagine being in one! We didn't have houses, but did have floors of the residence halls dedicated to inidividual chapters. Sometimes it would be hard to fill enough spaces to keep it as the chapters' hall! (Independents could and did live on them as well... my sophomore year I lived on one of the local sororities' halls). But I remember how difficult it seemed to get to know all of the members, especially during pledging/new member education. And I can't imagine going through that with 130 members! Although I'm sure that those people who are from large chapters can't imagine being in a smaller one, either!

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be