View Single Post
Old 04-28-2002, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigPiTO
Well, I'm gonna put my two cents in on this subject. I agree with the lovely KKG that stated that small chapters and large chapters have their own merits and that it should be based on the system you are in. For example, here at the University of Toronto we have about 55,000-60,000 students bt the average mens house is around 20, same with the girls (maybe a bit higher). That's with 17 fraternities and 7 sororities. You might think that that's bad, but what makes it even worse is the fact that some chapters take guys from College (which is Community college for the States) and from the two other Universities in Toronto. Going along with how the Toronto Greek system is, my chapter, which has 17 guys, ain't hurting too much. But if my chapter was at a school like Western Ontario we'd absolutely suck cause chapter size average there is about 40.

The one problem though having a small chapter is that you don't garner as much respect with your International office, other chapters and possibly your alumni (if the chapter was larger when they were around). I'm not saying that this is the case for my chapter, but I know that if we had more guys, say 35-40, some of our founding fathers may invest in a house for us (we're only one of 3 fraternities that doesn't have a house, and we're the youngest on campus). I'm done now, lates.

Kris
SigPi