View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 08:21 PM

Question Curious about joining a colonizing chapter

First off, I will say that I know next to nothing about Greek life and Greek etiquette, and I am posting because I am in need of advice.

I am a junior in college, and I will be in school for two more years (five total). The other day I found out that the sorority my grandmother was in (ZTA) is colonizing my university in the fall, and I am very interested in joining. I never considered Greek life before, but I recently switched majors, and have a lot more time on my hands. I really would like to be more involved on campus, and also make some new friends... joining a sorority makes sense at this point.

I'm quite a bit more interested in ZTA because I am a legacy, and also because they are colonizing. I am under the impression that because I am older, I could possibly be able to assume an important role as a new member (whereas if I joined a sorority that is already established on campus, I could end up having a big sister that is younger than me ).

Unfortunately, I have not been active on campus, and although I am looking to change this, I feel as though I will be at a disadvantage.

Also, I am worried about the timing of recruitment. If I don't get into ZTA, I think I would like to be in another sorority. However, ZTA isn't taking place in formal recruitment this year, and is instead holding their own recruitment process several weeks after. I am worried that I will go through recruitment, possibly receive a bid from another sorority and have to turn it down, and then not be given a bid at ZTA.

Some other information: My grandmother is no longer living, so I am unsure of how to deal with the legacy issue. If it helps, I go to Kansas State University.