View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

BUMP!

I was searching for something completely different and I found this thread, and decided to bump it. I really appreciate the creeds of other organizations because they articulate values in a way we cannot really do conversationally.

I don't think I have a favorite part of The Preamble, since it's quite short:
"We, the members of The Delta Chi Fraternity, believing that great advantages are to be derived from a brotherhood of college and university men, appreciating that close association may promote friendship, develop character, advance justice, and assist in the acquisition of a sound education, do ordain and establish this Constitution."

However I do like this quote from our old pledge manual about our four core values:
"What more cherished privilege is ours than that of inspiring human association, of friendship? What finer personal quality could we desire than strength of character? What greater cause to champion than justice? What more worthy object of endeavor than the acquisition of a sound education?"

The values in our Preamble are expanded upon in our Ten Basic Expectations:
  1. I will strive for academic achievement and practice academic integrity.
  2. I will respect the dignity and worth of all persons. I will not physically, mentally, psychologically or sexually abuse or haze any human being.
  3. I will protect the health and safety of all human beings.
  4. I will respect my property and the property of others; therefore, I will neither abuse nor tolerate the abuse of property.
  5. I will meet my financial obligations in a timely manner.
  6. I will neither use nor support the use of illegal drugs; I will neither abuse nor support the abuse of alcohol.
  7. I will acknowledge that a clean and attractive environment is essential to both physical and mental health; therefore, I will do all in my power to see that the chapter property is safe, properly cleaned and maintained.
  8. I will know and understand the ideals expressed in my fraternity Ritual and will incorporate them into my daily life.
  9. I will exercise compassion and understanding in dealing with all persons.
  10. I will challenge all my fraternity members to abide by these fraternity obligations and will confront those who violate them.
I highlighted my favorites in red and buff. Number 8 is my favorite expectation, and number 9 is the one I feel I need to work on the most/be most conscious of upholding.

Last edited by Gusteau; 06-04-2010 at 08:44 PM.