View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAlphaPhi View Post
Does anyone have any input on Canadian schools? I know Greek life isn't nearly as big as it is in the U.S. (in general; I can't speak for particular schools), but it'd be interesting to know.
I have worked directly with our chapters at U of T, UWO and Dalhousie and know that recs are extremely rare at all 3. They are definitely not needed. Some chapters probably wouldn't know what to do with them if they received them! It would definitely make a girl stand out..lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekmomjo View Post
ahhh, but the Greek Life websites are run by the University's Panhel office which downplays how important recs are at centain schools. They don't want to worry mamas. Which is fine, but if you can help your daughter/PNM have a better recruitment, why wouldn't you? IMO and experience, Panhel offices are frequently populated by academics who did NOT go Greek, have to deal with problems caused by Greeks (diciplinary issues) and sometimes are not as pro-Greek as they should be...Just my crabby--but knowledgeable--opinion .
They downplay the importance of recs because it is NPC policy that PNMs are not responsible for them. That said, many schools do NOT follow NPC policy and they ARE required to get a fair shot in recruitment, hence the need for this thread.