View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Funny story about what people did or did not know during recruitment. When I rushed AXiD, there was no philanthropy round, and things like symbols and mottoes weren't talked about. The day after pinning (pledge induction), I was going through the my pledge manual, and was thrilled to find out some very cool coincidences:

- Writing has always been one of my two passions (the other is acting). In high school, I always used the phrase "The Pen is Mightier than the Sword", (which I later found out is AXiD's motto).

- I also used to do calligraphy, learning in the sixth grade. I had an old-style quill and inkwell as well as more modern pens, and a number of different sized nibs. I later found out that the Quill is AXiD's symbol and the shape of the member badge.

- AXiD's national philanthropy at the time was the American Lung Association. I have lung disease, and it touched me that women across the country were dedicated time and resources to support a cause that deeply affects me.

I remember calling my mom and crying because I had felt an amazing connection.

Some other things that have happened that just reinforce the knowledge that I am in the right place. You know the saying that "being an ___ is not something you become, but something you've always been"? That was me. And I knew none of this stuff going into rush (COB).

To bring this back on topic, the PNM mentioned in the OP might not even feel a connection to her legacy chapter. I feel really bad that the mother is so insistent and controlling. Just like the mom probably had a choice (there's no mention that the daughter is a double legacy), so should her daughter.