View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiboy1946 View Post
Hi, i'm new.
Actually, I'm a pledge brother of his. What he said was mostly true but he did leave out some remarkable and interesting details.

Firstly, your year as a pledge mostly consists of binge drinking, since being able to withstand the booze to some point shows you're capable of representing the colors of the fraternity. While highly scary at first, you'd adapted mid-year or so to the tempo of drinking.

Secondly, basically until november we were not pledges, we were feuten (compare it to rushees) At the end of november, we had a 2day trial to become pledges. The first day was selling roses to raise money, at the end of that day we had our bierdoop, (loosly translated: trial of beer) sadly we didnt see any beer that night. We were filled with gin, vodka and porto (glases full of them, disgusting). The next day, utterly hungover, we were brought to a place in the woods where like he said, we mostly drank disgusting stuff and vomited a lot, were glad when someone peed on us, and often lay in a pool filled with puke.

You may be surprised to hear that all the vomiting and eating bugs or mice feutuses (yep, them too) was by far the least of our worries that day. We were wet constantly and ice cold, we sat outside for over 12 hours and we just didn't give a damn about the drinks or the food, you were exhausted and wanted to go inside, you wanted to quit. Just that damn cold. But none of the 12 people that had to go through all of it, quit.

I know it sounds goushy and mellow but you don't forget that, you know ? I'll never forget that day and i'll never forget the people that got me through it. It was the biggest test of character I've had up to this day and I'm quite frankly still highly surprised I made it through.

I'm not saying this is a great way to inaugurate your newest members (which btw it wasnt but that would make my story about 3 pages long) but you do create a bond right from the start
Yea, you're right... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't forget the day I almost died, either.

@~/~~~~