View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeALook View Post
You guys make a lot of excellent points.
No, I'm not going to let some girl I meet under a tent completely alter my opinion about a certain group. However, if she reiterates statements that I've heard from seven other people that ABC is full of party girls, I'm going to take that information and ask questions when I go to that house about their social events to see how much emphasis they really put on partying while, if I hadn't heard about their reputation, I probably wouldn't ask the question. If the girl started gushing about how they go out at least 5 times a week so it's always a guaranteed good time, I'm going to know that ABC isn't really my scene since I like to go out a maximum of once a week. Does that make sense?
I get the whole "it goes both ways thing" and respect it.
Also, reputation matters. I don't mean that in a "omg i lyke totes want 2 b in XYZ cuz teh frats luv them" way, but in a "I'm going to wear a shirt with my letters on it and you're going to judge me for it and I'd like to be prepared for the things you think" way. It doesn't matter whether the reputation is based of fact or entirely fabricated because those people are going to treat you according to that reputation anyway. Yes, I would disregard a less-than-excellent reputation if I loved 100% of the girls in DEF and knew it was perfect, but if I loved 60% and couldn't yet decide if I felt "at home," a reputation I'd have to battle constantly would be a factor worth considering.
Social probation is something I have never even considered. Thankfully, none of the chapters at my school will be on social probation this fall (unless they royally screw up in the next few weeks)
I fully understand and agree with giving every chapter an equal chance regardless of whatever information you may have heard about them, but I don't think seeking the information is bad if you do it properly. One of my favorite houses going into this process is a middle tier at best sorority so, while I don't really care about tiers, I want to know what they are and what the dynamics have been for the past few years (as you said, things can change). But, then again, I'm also that girl who always needs to know what time it is for absolutely no reason. I guess I just like to know things, to be aware and ready.
No, people will treat YOU for the person YOU are. Even if in the back of their heads, they are holding onto a giant generalization about ABC, none of that matters once someone meets you and gets to know you.

And how do you seek the "truth" properly? What is the truth and who knows it? Whothe boys say are the "hottest", who the non-affiliated girls say are the "sluttiest", or who the lacrosse team thinks are the "partiers"?

If you gathered all the sorority members and fraternity members, all the sports teams, all the sisters/cousins/mothers/professors who have an opinion on which sorority is the (insert stereotype here) sorority, what would the results be? I'd bet that there would be few "stand outs" in any given category. Why? Because it's all based on perspective.

The only concrete truths you have at your disposal (if they are all advertised) are things like GPA, social calendars, philanthropy projects, awards and Greek Week standings. Then again, it's just words on paper, because you are missing the key element - the people - the members themselves.

I think that enough people here have given you suggestions. You are free to find any information you want and believe it. These women are trying to help you have a successful recruitment. If you don't want to listen and think that you know the best way to approach recruitment, then why did you come here?