View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

My daddy told me that it is better to be 30 and never married than being 40 and paying alimony.

The young woman who initiated this thread said that she felt that there wasn't a fit between her and the one chapter that invited her to its preference night activities. Therefore the young woman decided to withdraw from recruitment and take her chances on a future rush.

I keep reading on various threads on the GreekChat forums that joining a sorority is a lifetime commitment. It is also a major financial commitment.

If the young woman in question realized that she felt no connection between her self and the sorority and decided to withdraw, I for one think she did a wise thing. How many postings are there concerning an unhappy pledge disrupting the equilibrium of a house because she didn't want to be in that house in the first place?

You say that there were other young women would have taken an invitation to that house, to any house in fact. Do such young women want to be members of that sorority or do they want two or three Greek letters on a sweatshirt?

I know women who married for the sake of being married. They didn't love the men they married. Or they married an addict, an abuser or an adulterer just so they could have a wedding, a ring and to tell the world that they are a MRS. Often these women paid a price that was more than the price of the ring, the wedding cake or the marriage license.

Whether the young woman finds her place in or out of the Greek life on her campus, I wish her only the best