View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Thanks. I ask a lot of questions about bid matching, RFM, etc. because I do a lot of work in both forecasting and optimization. Bid matching is, effectively, a multiple objective problem, because you want to maximize PNM happiness across all PNM's and chapter happiness across all chapters. That means there has to be a trade-off somewhere, and the one chosen, for whatever historical reason, is that the chapters' preferences trump the PNMs' preferences.

So, in my prior example, I was incorrect. If quota is 10, and Polly PNM is 11, and Suzie PNM is 12 on the bid list, the spot will go to Polly over Suzie, even though this group is Suzie's first choice and Polly's 3rd. So Suzie gains nothing by listing this chapter as her #1, and Polly loses nothing by ranking them 3rd.
Exactly. In the end, the chapter gets the final say unless as long as their choices want them. The end result, if you asked the chapter, may not be so optimal. Would you really want Polly who put you 3rd over Suzie who put you #1? I probably wouldn't. But...that's how it works. Residency Match works essentially the same way, but no one questions the match, they just put in their picks and shows up on match day. If you don't match, you scramble for a leftover spot. That's sorta the equivalent of Snap bidding, I guess!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!