View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
I'd be interested in knowing if other fraternities (besides DU, which is open) reveal confidential, secret information prior to their own initiation ceremony. In my GLO, for example, secrets are only revealed at the initiation ceremony. So if you knew secrets, you were most definitely an initiated member.
Alpha Kappa Lambda's ritual is also open.

Then there are other fraternities that have closed initiation rituals but open pledging (by whatever name they use) ceremonies -- Lambda Chi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Order, Theta Chi and Delta Chi come immediately to mind (some of these fraternities publish these ceremonies on the web), though I think there are others. I know a Phi Mu at GreekChat once said that their New Member Ceremony is also open.

As for the second question -- how many orgs reveal secret info prior to initiation -- I guess no one could know this without knowing the rituals of specific orgs. I can say, though, that I've had the definite impression over the years that some orgs do reveal some secrets in their pledging/new member ceremonies (perhaps related to things like the meaning of the pledge/new member pin, for example?), though I would suppose that they save the "bigger" secrets for initiation. As far as that goes, I know that some at GreekChat have said that their orgs have a ceremony for those transitioning from collegiate statuts to alumni/ae status at which still more secrets are revealed.

Another example of different orgs doing things in different ways.