View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Kappa Alpha Theta colonized Ole Miss in 1978 and was Charted in 1979 the same year the house was built. Alpha Xi Delta was given the lovely Barnard Building to use until they could build a house but closed in 1976 befor they could do so. The house that Theta built was estimated to require $500,000 to build, but site issues and lack of competitive bids drove the cost up to near $1,000,000 and the completed size was only 2/3 of the originally planned square footage. Barnard is now completely renovated and the home for the Studies on Southern Culture. It was the original campus astronomy and science building and named for the school's pre-Civil War Chacellor F.P. Barnard who discovered Barnard's Star and was the first Episcopal Rector at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Oxford, Miss.
So slightly off the OP's topic but I'm curious to how they used Barnard Observatory. I only know it from the 1990's and 2000's. Were there smaller rooms? Could anyone sleep there? Other side note, two of my good friends are Barnard great grandkids and he was also a Chancellor
To seek the truth and defend it always;"
- Dorothy Mumford Williams, The Delta Zeta Creed