View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
Back about 20 years ago, as rushers during house tour (3rd round), we were told we had to say "We were founded by five Christian women at Colby College in 1874" at some point - just to let people know...

The same "full disclosure" happened at both the two Jewish houses and the two Christian houses I visited as a rushee.

I was raised in a mixed religion household, so either way, I was good to go, but I can see where with some girls it would have been a BIG FREAKING DEAL.

But that was a long time ago - wonder if they still do that?

I am a legacy to Sigma Kappa through my stepsister (2 years older and was at a different school) and I didn't know much about greek life. My stepsister is Jewish and only one other person from my high school who happened to be from my synagogue went to UMass and happened to be in Sigma Kappa. We happened to have AEPhi and SDT on campus. Imagine my surprise during initiation when I found out that not only was my sorority founded on Christian principles, but that there were 2 traditionally Jewish houses on campus though our chapter had a good percentage of Jewish sisters....

I think it would have been nice of someone to mention along the way, not that it would have changed my mind or that I would have known better. I was a COB so it wouldn't have mattered....

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06