View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Since there has been a lot of concern about whether this fits the definition of fundraising or not, I think it would be a good idea to check with the members and find out what THEY expect from the two fundraising events you are required to organize. The intention may be that you select a charity, or two, and organize an event to raise awareness and funds for this cause. Supporting charitable efforts is important to all GLOs that I know of, and this may well be the intent. I would check to be sure. You want to make a good impression and follow the intent of the requirement.
The fundraisers are for me as an official interest to raise money to help cover my orientation fee. They are not at all for charity. I was told this when I was told I had to do fundraising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Then why are you posting here on GreekChat?

Excuse me, but you most certainly do, if you're selling the food. You are also missing the point about having to report income. ALL income. Regardless of whether you earn enough to pay taxes or not.

I think we're here now, people.
Because I'm looking for ideas. I'm not really sure how you don't get that.

And no, I don't. It's the same as cooking for my friends on any other occasion. I have never reported my income (unless it is automatically reported?), so why would I have to report this? Or, I could have it be on a basis of donation, so then the money would be a gift, and you absolutely do not have to report gifts.

ETA: I just got an email from the sister in charge of recruitment and she said that some ideas sisters have used are: Collecting cans and returning them at a grocery store, selling candy, and holding bake sales.

Last edited by HopefulInterest; 10-01-2012 at 08:12 PM.