View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Exactly! My alumnae chapter has members from over 30 different college chapters, stretching from Florida to Washington state. Why would people think that just because a town/area doesn't have a college chapter that there are no alumnae?
I don’t think anyone would.

I was discussing locating an alum who knows the PNM well enough to write the type of recommendation that Titchou referred to as preferable in SEC recruitments, not to just locating any alum who can send along an info-only rec:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Yes, they are needed in the spring. And yes, personal recs are needed. Info only doesn't cut it. They can get that same info from your registration form, FB page, school yearbook. The really true reason for the rec is the intangible - your character. And it isn't a recommendation unless the writer recommends you for membership - and an info only one does carry that recommendation.
(emphasis mine)

Gathering this type of recommendation for such a large number of chapters may not be an issue in recruitments elsewhere, but locating several alums, from each of 17 chapters, who also personally know you, can be difficult and take quite a bit of time.

As with the Alpha Phi example -- even though an alum group exists in the B'ham/Tuscaloosa area, the number of those alums who personally know girls graduating from high schools in B'ham may be small. If the alum numbers are not abundant -- especially among women who may be connected to girls this age (like moms of high school girls) -- then PNMs may have difficulty locating an alum from that GLO who knows them personally.

Considering the task, I figure that the membership chairs at Alabama, for instance, receive a lot of info-only recs (which are certainly far preferable to no rec at all).

Last edited by Hartofsec; 11-10-2012 at 09:30 PM.