View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Go spring or wait for fall?

I am currently a freshman in college. Prior to my first weeks at the University I attend, I knew little about Greek life (besides, regretfully, the rumors) and hadn't even considered going through recruitment. I was always involved in high school (I was on pomline, did musical theatre, was a drama troupe officer, joined NHS, started a recycling program, and swam on top of AP courses) but wanted to make a smooth adjustment academically into college. Now that I'm almost done with my first semester, I wish I had known more about the Greek system, and I really want to join a sorority. My university is offering both an informal spring rush (for some sororities) and of course formal in the fall. So, here is my question:
Because I was focused on transitioning academically, I did little this semester besides go to school, go to work, and volunteer. While my grades are coming out stunning (mostly A's and a few B's), I recognize that my extracurriculars this first semester of college are limited to volunteering with Down Syndrome kids (putting on a formal dance with high school students in which each student partners with a Down Syndrome student and gives them the night of their life!), mentoring a former high school teammate in a church setting, and working in local schools. Would it be okay to go through spring recruitment with great grades and limited extracurriculars, or would it be smart of me to get more involved on campus next semester and go through recruitment in the fall? I recongnize that there is no perfect answer, but any thoughts are appreciated! Thank you!