View Single Post
Old 07-18-2002, 04:52 PM

MIT used to be located in Boston, so a lot of the older fraternity houses (and some newer ones) are in Boston, while other fraternity houses are in Cambridge, a few right on campus. There are also a couple in Brookline. I've seen people refuse to rush the Brookline fraternities because the houses are too far from campus (you have to drive, though both houses have shuttle vans), and I've seen people refuse to rush the Boston fraternities because they didn't want to have to walk across the Mass. Ave. bridge in the middle of winter. (To be fair, that bridge does get very cold and windy - brrr!)

My husband refused to continue rushing one fraternity when he found out the freshman rooms in their house didn't have any windows.

A friend of mine had come to campus as a HS senior for a visit. The admissions office matches prefrosh up with volunteer students, and of course, GLO members are highly encouraged to volunteer. So he was met at the admissions office by a guy wearing letters and saying "C'mon, I'll take you over to Skullhouse." The nickname scared him to the point where he wound up not rushing at all.