View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

How to respond to PNM you don't know who wants rec when school doesn't require them?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I work at a Midwestern school where the Greek system is pretty popular with certain groups of students, but recommendations are not required for recruitment. I have worked with PNMs from our area to get them recs for SEC and other "competitive" schools; they have always clearly done their homework, are familiar with the process, and contact me well in advance of the deadline. I help put them in contact with local alumnae of other sororities as well.

I have been contacted by someone now 2 years in a row who wants me to write a rec for her at "my" school and to forward her information to these local alumnae of the other campus sororities. Recruitment is less than a week away. She started recruitment last year, but dropped. Last year she contacted me 2 weeks before recruitment started. I know how I will handle the recommendation process for my campus chapter, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to respond to PNMs like this one without sounding too harsh. There are a lot of young women here who are the first in their family to go through the recruitment process, so I understand that it can be overwhelming, but she clearly knew that recs were a "thing", and she did it two years in a row. Is it worth responding to these PNMs with anything other than "I'll pass your name along?"

Thanks!