View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Our family has bad wedding karma, or drama. This is a large Mexican-American family, btw.

* At my sister L's wedding, my sister V decided to leave the church before the ceremony started. She was still hurt and upset that she hadn't been chosen as the MOH and "needed some fresh air". Fearing she wouldn't come back, and upset herself, L asked a cousin to stand-in and walk down the aisle with me. That was fine until V showed up again, minus her bouquet, obviously had been crying, and then insisted on walking down the aisle. The church had plastic flowers downstairs in its kitchen, so that's what she marched down the aisle with. She then started crying during the wedding ceremony, and asked a family member sitting in the front row for tissue (as the ceremony was going on). She was *ordered* to go home afterwards by my father.

* My brother R has been married twice and coincidentally had wedding cake fails both times. The first wedding was in Florida, in April, and his soon-to-be MIL ordered the cake - well, it had some type of meringue or topping on it that required it to be chilled before serving. When it arrived at the house (reception was at the in-laws backyard), it was put in the garage. Well, it melted. It had sat there for hours in a non-AC'd garage with sunlight directly peaking through some windows at the cake. On his second wedding reception, a nephew of the bride wore sneakers with wheels on the bottom and ran into the table the cake was resting on. Only the bottom layer was salvageable.

* My sister E's wedding had multiple disasters. She "uninvited" my sister L because of a spat. She invited my cousin D, who was shunned by my aunt for marrying a black man. Without an invitation (although, we think my father invited her), my aunt shows up at the wedding and decides to sit with BIL's family, who are mostly red-headed Irish. She sat with them with at the wedding AND reception. She DID, however, give my sister a gift certificate for Olive Garden for....wait for it....100.00!! My sister would've been happy with a Bed, Bath and Beyond gift cert for 100.00, but Olive Garden?! Another disaster at E's wedding was that she insisted on a cousin who was mentally challenged (who is now deceased) attend the wedding reception; she didn't want her excluded. Well, said cousin, freaked out during family photos and threw a tantrum. And yet another disaster was that the BIL and his brother, his BM, wore traditional Irish kilts for the wedding; the plan was to change before the reception, but the brother kept his on and mooned everyone during an Irish Celtic dance - his side of the family laughed, my Mexican Baptist family was not happy.

* Finally, my sister V - never to be outdone - decided to marry by Justice of the Peace. My mom offered to buy her a nice new dress...but V wanted to wear something simple; she and BIL met as church missionaries and she didn't want any kind of extravagance. That went okay, actually. But no one had booked a restaurant for the reception, so we end up at Old Spaghetti Factory. After opening gifts, my sister asked for the receipts - she wanted to donate the money to charity. None of BIL's family showed up at the officiating or dinner because my sister called and told them it was going to be in Spanish and they wouldn't understand; they were offended. Plus, they all lived in another state. But here's the real kicker...when my BIL got up at Old Spaghetti Factory to pray, he asked the restaurant to turn off the overhead music so that he could say grace; when he was told that they couldn't shut it off, he said a very LOUD prayer.